Sunday, May 31, 2015

the new glasses

Some better photos, taken after I brushed my hair and with better lighting.

I think this first photo is surprisingly good, given that it's a quickly-taken, using the bathroom mirror as a help, photograph. (Seeing myself in a mirror helps; I can usually compose my expression better):

glasses 1

I like the frames. I think the darker color on the top highlights the color of my eyes, perhaps better than the older, lighter frames did.

I do think they make me look ever so slightly like Shelagh Turner/Sr. Bernadette from "Call the Midwife." Not that much, as her face is thinner than mine and her coloring is different, but the shape of the glasses frames is similar.


(And for fans of the show: there are some paper dolls of some of the main characters. Rather cartoonish (Chummy does not look that much like herself, I think) and there aren't many of the 50s-fabulous outfits (that is partly why I watch the show), but still)

Here's another photo:

glasses 2

I'm still getting used to them, mainly the "point your nose at the stuff you need to see close up, do not adjust your glasses" because I had gotten so used to sliding my old ones up and down my nose to change the focal length. I did some embroidery last night and it is easier to thread needles now.

Also, I had a headache earlier (it started in church) and was afraid it was the glasses, but then I noticed that my sense of smell had gone super sharp so I decided to try taking an anti-migraine pill, and that must have been it, because the headache is gone now. (I kept the old glasses, both to have a spare pair against breakage, and also in case it was hard to get used to the progressives)

And the sunglasses. I didn't realize it until these came in (and they gave me the case and stuff that comes with them), but they are Swarovski frames. Um, yeah. I might have gone with something a bit less posh seeing as I plan on wearing them mainly for fieldwork. But they do give good coverage and protection. (Then again, the clinic comped me the price of the frames because I was buying two pair, so I might as well have gotten the ones that worked best for me)

sunglasses

****

Also, the first completed project of break. I had taken the pattern for Stone the Gargoyle by Devon Monk (that's a blog link rather than Ravelry). I found some Vanna's Choice (which is one of the nicest of the readily-available acrylic yarns out there) in a color called something like "Marble Tweed" that was just right, so I knit one up.

Henry

I was originally going to name the gargoyle Lichen, or maybe some kind of rock-related pun (or something like Cephas, which is Greek for Peter, which itself is from the Latin (?IIRC) word for rock). But when I finished him and looked at him, the name "Henry" popped into my mind and he had to become Henry because that name was now "imprinted" on him. (Sometimes that happens with toymaking, at least for me).

(The name MAY have come because years back I knew someone with an old grey cat named Henry. Well, really, Henrietta, but s/he started out as Henry until she presented her owner with a litter of kittens....)

Here's a close up of Henry's face. It's fun being able to embroider jagged teeth on something.

Henry face

Henry is kind of a funny cute gargoyle, not a scary one. (I'm not sure I could make a toy of a scary or angry animal if I tried; it would probably come out funny instead of scary.)

2 comments:

Kucki68 said...

Henry is adorable!

Love your new glasses too, might have to get some myself, the glass bit is scratched.

purlewe said...

I love both the glasses and Henry!!!

And I am glad you are home safe!