Thursday, May 07, 2015

Some nice things

I like things that are just cute and nice and happy. Here are a few ideas/things:

* A person decides to travel with a stuffed toy Totoro and take pictures of Totoro where he went.

* I found that while doing a search to see if anyone made a garden-gnome (that is, a statue that is durable for the outdoors) version of Totoro because it would be nice to have a Totoro in my garden somewhere. (I couldn't easily find one. There are lots of tiny figurine sets for those "fairy garden" things, but nothing like I had in mind - about a foot tall or so, maybe made of resin or some kind of stone-like composite)

* There exists a silicone, manatee-shaped tea infuser (Yes, I have one on order)

* cat spoons(porcelain spoons with a minimalist cat painted on them, not a spoon FOR a cat.....though that in itself might be cute). I have a teabag-holder cat-dish that is not unlike these.

*Eve and the Palindromes kitten-cam. (They're getting big!!)

* I do think I might institute a Friday or Sunday (depending on my schedule) night movie-night. I have a number of dvds I've bought through the years and never watched, and some I haven't seen for ages. (Most of the movies I own, as I noted before, tend to be what are regarded as "kids'" movies - lots of Miyazaki, Babe the Sheep Pig (I don't have the sequel, it really wasn't as good), Cats Don't Dance (which I want to watch again some time....), The Water Horse, the various Wallace and Gromit movies.....

I also have a few "classics" on film - Sense and Sensibility, a couple of Shakespeare movies (the most recent version of Henry V, which I really need to watch sometime). And a bunch of Poirot and all (heh. all = eight) of the episodes of Campion ever made.

Also my university library has some dvds which I could check out for free if I wanted to, and I think they have lots of Shakespeare.....

I also notice that there are a few things that pop up as "streaming Prime" recommendations on Amazon for me, including The Secret of Kells (an animated movie based on Irish mythology). Those could count, too. And there's lots of them (including Secret of Kells) that are free for me to watch as streaming video.

* This .gif, which is a nicer and more polite version of a common internet saying:


















* Carroll Spinney (Big Bird) is interviewed on Reddit. The first story he shares is sad but also touching (sad in a good way). And in response to a commenter's comment, someone says "A soft heart is a good heart" (the commenter complained that he cried too easily and was too soft-hearted). I like that. Sometimes I feel like I am maybe a little too soft-hearted but I suppose it's better than being the opposite, and as long as you're NOT soft-headed in addition to being soft-hearted, you're probably good. (I can be hard-headed when needed, whether it's giving a 0 grade for plagiarism and standing by that grade even when they come and give me a story about how they "didn't know," or giving tough love when needed, that kind of thing)

And yeah, if I let myself, I do sometimes cry easily at stuff. But usually just when I'm at home alone. When I'm out in public, I can cowgirl up and not show the tears.....

No comments: