Thursday, May 07, 2015

Hanging out, waiting.

Well, in North Texas, west and south of where I live, there's really bad weather. The headline on TWC is "Multi-vortex tornado confirmed," apparently for Denton.

It might be headed this way. So I guess I stack up the quilts and pillows. I already made sure I had a pair of sturdy shoes and extra clothes in the bathroom (this is the only potentially safe room in the house, but if it's a big big tornado even that's not safe).

I don't like this. I'm tired, I'd like to go to bed, I'm cranky because I pushed really hard to get something done and then someone else didn't get their end of it done.....and now I have to sit up a while later to be sure the weather here doesn't turn potentially deadly.

I should have known this would happen - at one point today the dewpoint was 68. (Which was also probably why I was so cranky and painful today; my body does not like humidity. And I'm hived up like a monkeyfighter, apparently my mast cells don't like it either.)

I'd be okay with just an uncomplicated thunderstorm but the chance of a tornado after dark is super scary.


I have the local channel on so I can catch the weather when the guy breaks in. They have a new version of the Odd Couple that they are doing. Felix Ungar.....he LARPs in this version. I don't know. In my universe, Felix Ungar doesn't LARP.  I admit that the actor who plays him is kind of adorable, but.....Felix Ungar wouldn't LARP. I associate LARPing with burly guys who want to be in The Lord of the Rings or who want to do Civil War re-enactments,  and I think Felix would get too weirded out by all the mud and unsanitaryness. (And yeah, Felix Ungar in this one comes across slightly like an all-grown-up Sheldon Cooper with different interests, and maybe a little less of the "I'm the smartest guy in the room" superciliousness. But somehow I find Felix easier to take)

I think the new Oscar was on Friends years ago?  (And ugh, they still have the slightly creepy sex jokes that all sit-coms seem to have to have now. Another reason why I like kid's cartoons. You won't catch Rainbow Dash making a foreplay joke. Or at least I'd hope you wouldn't.)

(And who is the character that Yvette Nicole Brown is playing? A friend of both the guys? A fellow inhabitant of their apartment complex? A co-worker of one of them? She seems around an awful lot for just-a-friend.)

It's weird seeing new actors in roles I associate with either Tony Randall and Jack Klugman  or Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau. (I admit I am far more familiar with the TV series; when I was an undergrad one of the indie stations - back when such things existed - used to show re-runs of the show in the midafternoon and I would often watch it when I got home from class. I think part of the reason I liked it was its early-70-ness, how it was kind of different in terms of clothing and decor and appliances to what was around then (the early 90s). Also I just barely remembered some of those things as a kid of the 70s)

Ugh, the alarm just went off.....severe thunderstorm warning for Grayson County.

(I don't think I'm gonna go do anything tomorrow, we're supposed to get more storms.)

The good news is it looks like this might move out in the next hour.


Oh, now it's the Standard Sitcom Tantrum, with two characters (Felix and some woman) yelling at each other and waving their arms in such a way that if someone did it to me, I'd assume they were unhinged and walk quickly away from them.


Oh, now it's Big Bang Theory. Too many characters on that one annoy me too much so I guess I need to find another channel that might break in and show weather.

No comments: