Tuesday, May 12, 2015

"Come on, Spitfire"

This was on Equestria Daily but I watched it a couple times I liked it so well, so I'm sharing it here:



A fan-made animation called "Spitfire's Day Off." I like it because there's nothing complicated about the plot, it's just Spitfire out having fun.

(And also: this is why, if I were picking a type of pony to be, I'd pick Pegasus every time. Because of flight).

I think a big reason why this animation makes me happy is I remember the song in it from my younger days (I think the original version - this one is by a different band - was first out just as I was starting high school). There is just something kind of simple and joyful about it, too - and it's pretty danceable. (I don't dance much but I DO remember going to one school dance, and I think this is the song I actually got out on the floor for).

The animation also makes me wonder: have we seen Spitfire's cutie mark in-canon (on the show). (I suppose we have, and I am just not remembering. Surely the Wonderbolts Academy episode showed it). I will admit I was hoping it would be the symbol on the ORIGINAL Spitfires, the RAF Roundel - a bullseye in red, white, and blue. Though perhaps that's making a bit too much reference to something that exists in the human world. (I haven't decided yet if the Pony Universe is a multiverse universe - as in, it exists alongside the human world but just is on a different dimensional plane, or if it's a total fantasy, or if it's some kind of weird advanced-future where humans got extincted but somehow horses survived and adapted. Oh, I mean, I know in the "real" world which one it is, but I admit I like imagining it as a multiverse sort of thing, and the Power Ponies episode kind of suggests the possibility of it being part of a  multiverse)

In some of the earlier episodes there are a few more references to the "human" world - in one shown today, Applejack shouts "Geronimo," which of course refers to a real human person, which was adopted by paratroopers before jumps for some reason.

And here's another absolutely iconic song/music video from my younger days, ponified. (And yes, I admit I LOVED the song and I still kind of like it, even as an adult):


1 comment:

CGHill said...

I blew up that version of "Take On Me" to full-screen when it came out, and I swear, I was sobbing more than Twi was at the end.