Monday, May 11, 2015

Aw, guys, tears.

But good ones.

I saw one of my former students graduate this weekend. I'm sorry she's leaving - she was a good student - but I'm happy she's going on to bigger things.

Well, this morning, I found a card had been slipped into my office mailbox, from her.

On the front, it said NICEST PERSON EVER and inside she wrote a note thanking me for the help, both in class and out of class (one summer she needed an apartment on short notice, and one of the apartments my church owns had just become vacant, so I connected her with the person who manages that).

It means a lot to me because a lot of the time it's really hard to know if anything you do as a college prof has much of an effect. (And it also tells me that my motto of "Everyone around you is smart, so distinguish yourself by being kind" is probably good guidance.)

So yeah. That was a good thing to get this morning.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a kind gesture and what a very wonderful boost to morale- it does seem like kindnesses are overlooked and shouted down by assertiveness and downright in-your-face actions- sometimes though, one little mark of appreciation can make all the unremarked deeds worthwhile- enjoy the gesture, as i know it was richly deserved-

barbintexas (east texas, in fact, where the rains may never end)

purlewe said...

LOVE this. sounds like a lovely person who was very happy to have you in her life. YAY!

Joan said...

They say that virtue is its own reward, but it is lovely to receive acknowledgement. Everything we do matters. Everything.