Tuesday, January 20, 2015

outgtha be rule

This happened last week but I just remembered it now. This is one of those, "Why isn't there some rule of etiquette that makes this a no-no" things?

The ladies' room on my hall is small (two stalls and a sink). I usually use it because it's less used than the larger restrooms in the classroom area and tends to be quieter and cleaner.

Well, I push the door open and I hear someone talking. At first I think she's talking to someone still in the stall (which is also a personal no-no to me: I do not like carrying on a conversation while in the loo).

Nope. She was on her cell phone. Standing in front of the sink, at the mirror, just talking.

I backed right back out of the room and waited until after my class - but to me, that's like a who DOES that? situation. I get that people might want privacy while on the phone but there are a number of open but unused-at-the-moment classrooms and such. What this person did was effectively blocked anyone a bit shy (like me) from wanting to use the facilities until she was done with her call.

Sigh. We have a "lactation room" (this was something mandated, though we currently have no one who is nursing a baby). Maybe we also need to designate a "mobile phone room" for people. 'Cos the bathroom shouldn't be it.

No comments: