Thursday, December 04, 2014

This is interesting

Supposedly, this is a roughly-one-minute recap of the major hair-and-makeup trends, decade by decade, from the 1910s to today.

I have no idea how accurate this is though I will say I've read people suggesting that what we "remember" a decade for usually was the trends that started mid-decade - for example, 1980 was considerably more like the 1970s than, say, 1985 was.

But still, I find it interesting.

And the one I feel I look "most" like, oddly, is the 1910 one - I don't wear much make up at all (no eye make up) and I don't strive to make my hair straight because I know it doesn't want to be (or else I'd look more like maybe the 1990s one). Also, I don't pluck my brows any more (well, other than removing a few stray hairs); it got to be too much of a hassle to keep up with and when I'm at a hive-prone point, the slight trauma of plucking makes me come out in hives, which is a worse look than the "natural" brows are.

I also LIKE the 1910 one best. The 1940s one is cool, and is reminiscent of photos I've seen from that era, but wow, so much work on the hair. I'd rather just pin my hair up (or pull it back) and let a few curls escape here and there.

My second-favorite is the 1950s one; if I were willing to put a bit more effort into make up and hair I could see myself rocking that look. (I wonder: my mother was a late teenager in the 1950s, and her style still carries a few elements of 1950s style; I wonder if that, plus my love of older movies, makes me think "1950s style = glamorous woman" more than some of those other styles do)



(Also, the 1920s lipstick - yipes. I wonder if that's where they got the inspiration for Effie Trinket in the movie of "The Hunger Games.")

1 comment:

Nicole said...

That's a neat video. To me, the 1940s always seemed like the height of glamour. The 1950s is very appealing - to me that era always evoked class.