Wednesday, December 03, 2014

From The Twitters

As a result of a short conversation with Charles (and also, a few offhand comments some of the others I follow have made), I was inspired to create this:

Yeah, I am not a particularly great fan of infographics-for-the-sake-of-being-infographics* or big splashy things with large numbers or images and very little text. I GET that apparently most people have acquired an attention-span-destroying parasite and so they must be catered to (apparently), but the design is really ugly and it took what used to be a fairly useful magazine and now it just makes it so slick. 

And it DOES look like Romper Room to me a bit. It used to seem like the most grown-up of grown-up magazines: I remember when it used to be mostly newsprint, with those little filled-in circles to indicate how good certain aspects of a product were. I guess they still do that but it seems kind of lost to me in all the glossiness.

some things don't need to be glossy, IMHO.

(Also: "The Twitters" makes me think that's how Photo Finish would say it: "We will put your image on The Twitters ALL OVER EQUESTRIA!!!!")

(*there are some good ones, and I use the "in-flu-VENN-za" one with my classes to teach about viral variants, but it seems like so many of them have less content than a couple paragraphs of text - which would take up less space - would)

No comments: