Thursday, December 18, 2014

Down rabbit hole

While doing a bit of background research for a future "embargoed post," I got sucked into the YouTube rabbit hole of "old television broadcasts from where I grew up"

First, I found some Channel 8 coverage with Dick Goddard (and his Wooly Bear Reporters). Then I thought of Del and Tom (or Tom and Del): Tom Haley and Del Donahoo, who were the morning guys on Channel 3. They did the news but they also did all kinds of silly, wonderful tomfoolery. My family loved the show, I think because the humor - lots of puns, lots of running gags milked far longer than they should have been - was the kind of thing we all found funny. (Also, it was less stressful than "straight" news).

Both Del and Tom have since gone on to their reward, but here's a retrospective. It even includes, at about 1:30 minutes in, the infamous sponge-cake gag that I remember roaring with laughter over as a tween/teen. (I can't remember what year they did it).

Oh, and "Henry." I had forgotten about "Henry" until now:



Oh, and: "You have a good one, filled with lots of love, and some peace, too."

No comments: