Wednesday, December 17, 2014

a striped sweater



Some time during exam week, I dug the Fibonacci sweater (long neglected, because it's a little big on me) out of my closet. It was cold in the building that day and I needed a warmer sweater.

Here it is (fingers crossed, dumb flickr changed how we post/link pictures YET AGAIN):

finfib

Yeah, that worked. Anyway, this is an old photo, I think I finished this over Christmas 2005. I hadn't worn it for a while because it is a heavy sweater, and also, I made too big of a size (and I'm just a little smaller now than I was in 2006, at least through the waist).

But it's a comfortable sweater - warm - and I like the striping pattern. Striped things make me happy (see: my love of Continuum self-striping yarn for socks). Ravelry, in this week's "Community eye candy" (the header page for the site) has several striped sweaters. (The middle one - linked to the word "striped" - is my favorite. And nice Jem and the Holograms shout-out there....)

I have a striped sweater kit - several years ago from KnitPicks - that maybe should be my "next" sweater, once I finish the vest (at least) and Hagrid (ideally). It's not that different in design and color from the Jerrica Benton sweater.

Most of my sweaters are solid color, maybe I need to make one or two striped ones. (That would also solve the issue of "Grah, I really like this yarn but they don't have enough balls in a single dye-lot of any of the colors I like"). I guess I don't stripe things because I'm a little concerned about getting the colors "right" (though given my quilt experiences, I'm pretty good at picking colors) and I also have that old, deeply-ingrained prejudice that "horizontal stripes make you look fatter." Maybe so, though it's really my bustline and my hips that make me "look fat," not the sweater, and I just need to own that I am the size I am.

(I also have to say: this was hanging up in my closet and I was afraid that maybe the various critter-outbreaks I've had had led to something getting to it - it's pure wool, and what's more, fairly "rustic" wool with the lanolin in - but nope, not a snag or a hole anywhere, which is a huge win for me.

I think this one is coming with me over break because it will match with a number of the outfits I take)

3 comments:

Kucki68 said...

I love the stripes on you. The sweater makes you look wide, because it is too big, not because of the stripes. And I like the interplay of the different colors with your own coloring.

Lynn said...

I read an article about a study that found that horizontal stripes actually do not make people look fatter. I'm not sure I agree. You know how it is with "scientific studies". But it's something we can tell ourselves. "It's a myth. There was a study. :-)

Nicole said...

That is an awesome sweater!!!