Sunday, November 09, 2014

First gift sock

I finished the first of the cabled gift socks this weekend, and got a decent amount done on the second one.

cabled gift sock


It's Jane Brocket's cabled sock pattern (from "The Gentle Art of Knitting"). The yarn is a Phydeaux Designs yarn; the colorway is called "Verdigris."


Here's more of a close up to show the cables:

cable close up

I'm thinking of sometime doing another pair of these for me, but using one of the wide-striping self-striping sock yarns.


***

I also started quilting again on the quilt in the frame. I turned the third corner on the border. I have one full side left to do and just a couple motifs on the fourth side. I'm already thinking about the next quilt - probably the French General (the second pictured one in this post.) fabrics one in the "plus sign" design. I'm also thinking about the borders. I can't find where I stowed most of my quilting stencils (annoying, because I finally got around to putting up the rack of hooks I got for hanging them) so I might just do a diagonal grid pattern on the wide borders.


I also have the Knickerbocker Glory quilt made out of the trompe-l'oeil insect prints that I want to hand-quilt. (Perhaps I should do that one first, as it's been finished the longest. Also, it will take no marking for the way I want to quilt it....)

I have backings for both these quilts, and I have batts that would work. (For a while, I was buying batting when it was on sale, with the thought - this was in the abyss of the economic downturn - that either it would become hard to find a shop that sold it or inflation would raise the price out of easy reach. I've got a lot of batting ahead....)


***

I also need to get back to crocheting on the Queen Chrysalis. And I'm thinking about MOAR ponies. I still want to make the Maude Pie (using my standard pattern - the modified fawn pattern). And I found a good name for an "OC"* character that's been batting around in my head - a gray Pegasus pony with a loopy coral-colored mane and tail and an open-book cutie mark. In my imagining of her, she's the librarian in a small Equestrian town called Whinnywood. I originally called her Pageturner in my mind, but I'm pretty sure there's someone else who uses that name for their made-up pony (I think they're also on DeviantArt under that name). And I don't like scooping someone else's name, especially someone kind of well-known. But I realized today I could call her Folio, which I don't think is being used, and also, given my inordinate love and huge collection of Folio Society books, that also pleases me. (She will probably be the next to crochet.)

(*"OC" stands for Original Character but I admit that, even though I never watched it, the first thing I think of was the soap-opera-esque show that used to be on in the early 2000s)

Also, I find myself at odd moments thinking about what I referred to as #weirdponies on Twitter - funny names that relate to an existing Pony, that are allegedly distant relatives.

Like, Pinkie Pie's south-of-the-border cousin, Tamale Pie.
And the secret-spy pony posing as a DJ: DJ PON-007

I came up with a few more:

Pinkie Pie's second cousin from whatever the Equestrian equivalent of Tennessee is: Moon Pie

Of course, Moon Pie has to have a boyfriend whose name is RC. (I can almost picture them: Moon Pie would have a lot of make-up on, and would wear the pony equivalent of cut-offs. And probably chew gum. And RC would wear a trucker cap.)

And Fluttershy has a male cousin who works at fairs in Trottingham. His name is Coconut Shy. (I don't know if coconut shies ever existed in the US; I only remember reading about them in British books. They're a type of carnival game).

And she has a cousin who has never been seen named Camerashy.

1 comment:

purlewe said...

I am not into the ponies, but I love that you are.. But the names you came up with?? LOL! I am falling down with laughing over here.