Sunday, April 24, 2011

Quilt top finished

A blessed Easter to all who celebrate.

Over the weekend, I did finish the quilt top. It's been overcast/rainy (I guess we are also under a severe thunderstorm watch right now), so the colors in this photo aren't as vibrant as they might be.

Finished Knickerbocker Glory quilt

I think the colors blended a lot better than I thought they would when I first started breaking down the Jelly Roll to make the quilt.

Here's a close-up of it:

Close-up of Knickerbocker Glory

Just simple four-patches, but the way they're set, it makes a very effective quilt top. I can see doing this pattern again with different fabrics; maybe colors that are more blendy/monochromatic, or something like Civil War-era reprint fabric, with each four-patch made of a "dark" color (that dark red or blue that was common then) and the other two squares in the patch being a shirting print (white or off-white with small red, blue, or black figures on it).

I did also take the time to run down to Twin Oaks yesterday. I got a few shade plants for the garden on the north side of the house, and a few more herb plants, and a few more tomatoes. (The tomatoes for sale right now, though, look kind of manky compared to the ones I bought earlier. I suppose they have gotten potbound or something. I hope the ones I bought - I picked the four "best" looking ones I could find - do OK. I got two Rutgers, and had thought I got two more Arkansas Travelers, but it turned out one is actually a variety called "Sugar" - no idea if that's a grape tomato or what (I'm not that fond of either cherry or grape tomatoes; too much skin in proportion to the flesh). We'll see).

This is the best-looking part of the garden right now, an area where I have most of the herbs planted. (The yellow flowers in the back are coreopsis; I bought them to attract bees.)

herb garden

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Quilt looks gorgeous - and the styling on that photo is right on.

Ah, the garden. [wistful sigh]