Wednesday, November 19, 2014

And knitting away

Over the weekend, I realized just how soon the "gift exchange" party I am going to is coming up (Dec. 4) and realized that IF I was going to follow my earlier plan and knit a pair of ribbed armwarmers like what I made for my sister-in-law, I'd have to get on it.

So that's what I've been doing. I'm almost past the thumb-gusset on the first armwarmer, which is good, because the wrist part is the longest part. I'm using a Paton's sockyarn for this - I think it's called FX or something like that? It's one of the ombre-colored ones that shifts slowly from one color to another, because of how the yarns are plied. I find ombre yarns interesting because of those changes, and they do spur me to keep knitting "just until the next color change."

One thing about this yarn, though: it's a heavy fingering, almost a sport weight. These are going to be pretty dense mitts, which I guess is good, but it does make the knitting slightly slower going as I find it harder to manipulate a yarn that's just a bit thick for the needles. (Also, this yarn is kind of splitty if you're not careful).

The color I'm using is (I *think*) called "Cadet Colors" - deep blue shading into a lighter blue with hints of buff and grey. I always try to pick "less idiosyncratic" colors when it's a gift for someone I don't know well (or in this case, don't know at all - we do the gift exchange as a "draw numbers and pick a gift" thing).

I've already decided that if I can get my two upcoming exams (one for Monday that HAS to be done, one for the week after Thanksgiving) completed, I will take Saturday off and stay home and knit. (Anyway, it's supposed to rain buckets, and I'd rather stay home if it's doing that.)

Tonight, I do have to make the sweet-potato casserole (the one I woke up all worried about the other day). I found the recipe for it, I have all the ingredients on hand, so I'm ready to go. I also need to go to the post office as I have several International items to mail and also I need to arrange to have my mail held....because this time next week I will be in Illinois.


***

Two ponified versions of a thing that went around a while back. ("In the future, if something exists, there will be a Pony form of it"):





While the AJ/Applebloom one is perhaps more true to the original (and has the joke in there that we never actually SEE their mom, and the general fan conclusion is that they're orphans being raised by Granny Smith), I think I like the Octavia/DJ PON-3 one better.

No comments: