Tuesday, September 09, 2014

This is genius

A person who does ASL translated "Bohemian Rhapsody" into ASL:



(Over on YouTube, he gives a more complete written translation in the "about" section. It's interesting to see how different ASL and standard English (well, the 'standard' English in the song. Heh. The 'Queen's' English?) are)

I also like how he adds interpretive gestures during the instrumental parts, so someone who was watching but not hearing could maybe get a sense of the music.

ASL is something I've wanted to learn but time always prevents me from. (Why? Because it's cool to know other ways of communicating. And people who can translate spoken speech into ASL perform an important service. I've thought idly that maybe a retirement occupation for me would be to learn it, and if I got good enough, volunteer as an interpreter.)

No comments: