Wednesday, September 10, 2014

A small dilemma

My niece's second birthday is in less than a month, and I have to figure out a gift.

I don't want to even try making something; I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get it done in time.

The thing is - my brother and sister-in-law have had such a grand old time buying stuff for her that (a) I suspect a lot of the common "popular" things are stuff she already has and (b) a lot of things I think of, I fear would be cast aside as "boring."

My initial thought also isn't possible: I was going to get her a set of the Beatrix Potter books (in the replica of the good old Warne editions) from Folio, but Folio doesn't carry them any more. (I should have ordered a set when they had them on a 50% off sale...) I suppose I COULD give her my set, but then I wouldn't have a set any more...

I think two is still a little young for most art supplies, no? I don't think she'd be ready for something like a potholder loom for a few more years.

I also had the thought of buying a bunch of the "classic" picture books in nice hardbound editions (this thought spurred by seeing a copy of Make Way For Ducklings, a book I remember loving as a kid, at the bookstore). But again, I don't know how those kinds of books play with "today's" kids.

(Then again, it looks like Amazon has copies of the Beatrix Potter book in their "small" format. Not quite the Warne reproductions, but still, in my mind, Beatrix Potter As She Should Be Read. So maybe get her some of those, maybe see if there's a companion stuffed toy, like a Tom Kitten or something).

I'll have to think on it more. I thought "Oh, it will be so easy to buy for a niece" but I'm finding that not to be the case. (I don't even want to TRY with clothes; the sizes are kind of unstandardized and she's tall but light for her age, so....)

ETA: They have Squirrel Nutkin. I think my niece needs a copy of Squirrel Nutkin. (And Peter Rabbit, and The Tale of Tom Kitten). Maybe I'll just buy her a bunch of the "little" Beatrix Potter books and maybe a Potter-themed stuffie.

3 comments:

purlewe said...

My nieces and nephs get the same present every birthday and xmas holiday. 1 book that is age appropriate and 1 outfit. My sisters know that I will ask them for current sizes within the month of the event and I go to a nice local bookstore that has a good children's selection and pick out a book. I figure kids grow out of clothes too quickly that they always need new and books last a lifetime. send her the ones you adored as a child. Those are real memories you can share with her.

Charlotte said...

I think the Beatrix Potter books are a great idea. The small ones may be easier for her to handle at this age.

Nicole said...

Books, clothes... not sure really but I want to say edible finger paint? I *think* that's a 2 yr old kind of thing.