Wednesday, September 24, 2014

The back's done

No picture, because I'm not at home, but I finished the back on the "High Street Vest" (this is a simple, all-stockinette pattern) that I'm making out of KnitPick's "Galileo." (Galileo, Figaro....)

Good news: it looks like I WILL have enough yarn. It took 2 1/2 balls for the back and I have six, and the front has the deep v-neck, so that occupies less yarn. (I was worrying if I'd have enough for the arm ribbing and neck ribbing at the end, but I think I'll be okay).

Not much else to add. I'm still reading away on Adam Bede and really enjoying it a LOT. I find I actually sleep better and more soundly on nights when I read something like this, that is rich in description and amusing characters and fairly low on distressing drama* or people being ugly to one another.

(I really like Rev. Irwine. But then I also really like Adam and Seth Bede. And Dinah Morris. Even Hetty I-forget-her-last-name, though she's silly and vain and and selfish and apparently doesn't like children, even she's not so awful). 

(* I know, it may still come. Flipping ahead I saw a reference to a trial so I'm a tiny bit apprehensive).

I'm thinking about "next novel." Maybe I'll read Emma next (and after that, I'll have to sit down and watch Clueless all the way through, for once). Or maybe the big fat translation of The Three Musketeers I have. It's supposed to be a good translation and one that brings out a lot of the humor in the original book.

I didn't mention that I picked up the new Interweave "specialty" publication last weekend - this one is called Enchanted Knits or summat like. It's all patterns drawing inspiration from fairy tales (earlier specialty publications were all Jane Austen influenced designs, and there was Harry Potter Knits, which I guess has been reissued as Wizard Knits, and there was the Downton Abbey one, which I bought, despite never having seen more than a few moments of the show).

I don't KNOW that there's anything in there I would knit (though there are socks, and there's a lovely Merlin-inspired cabled sweater) but I just like having these to look at and consider the inspirations and the allusions the designers make.

I wonder what they're going to do next. (I hope they keep doing these). I don't know if they're out of Jane Austen-inspired ideas. They could do a mythology-themed one, or actually, several issues: Greek mythology, Norse, maybe Asian.....I could also see a Golden Age Mystery knits - including a What Would Miss Marple knit project, and maybe a sweater vest like Peter Davison Albert Campion would wear, perhaps a nightcap and mustache-protector for Poirot? (In one of the Poirot movies, I think we are shown him wearing something rather like a little bandeau at night to keep his mustaches in place). Maybe a cabled sweater for Inspector Alleyn when he is out in the countryside? Or Agatha Troy's "artistic" sweater design? (Perhaps the problem with Golden Age mystery is there are not enough females to design for).

I suppose they could do a Dr. Who-themed one (I'm not a fan. I don't DISLIKE the series in any way, it's just something I've never really watched). That is, if the BBC doesn't bring down the heavy hand of copyright, which apparently they sometimes do.

(I'd love to see a Ponies themed one but I suspect that would, even given the huge fandom, have a limited appeal: I'm not sure how much overlap there is on the Venn diagram of "Pony Fans" and "knitters")

Even with the Golden Age mysteries one: I'd totally wear a sweater vest like one Albert Campion would wear.

They could also do a sciency-knits one, maybe with an article on those emission spectra scarves (I STILL want to do one of those), and knits incorporating botanical designs, and the Klein bottle hat....there are lots of science people out there who knit, actually.

No comments: