Sunday, September 14, 2014

I made bread

This time, I used the "quick light wholemeal bread" recipe - it's half white and half "wholemeal" (well, I used KAF's "white whole wheat" which has the texture but not the appearance of white flour). I also added some of the "fruitcake mix" (raisins, currants, pineapple, cranberries, and dates) and a bit of cake spice. And I used milk rather than water, and added a bit more sweetener (golden syrup).

The bread didn't rise as high as I was expecting in the pan. I'm wondering if using a glass loaf pan is the problem; maybe I would be better off getting a proper metal one.

fruity bread

Hopefully the bread will still taste good. (Sometimes when they don't rise as much they are kind of dense and not that good.)

The pink and white striped towel (I have two) are what I used to cover bread when it's cooling so it doesn't dry out. They came from my maternal grandmother; she used them for the same purpose. I guess my mom got a bunch of these when they broke up Grandma's possessions, so she gave me a couple. I like using them because again, there's that feeling of an unbroken chain of transmission. (My grandmother was a great bread baker; she used to always to bread for church bake sales and it was usually spoken for even before she made it). I'm still not as accomplished (sometimes my bread comes out dry or heavy) but maybe I can make up for lost time if I keep working at it.

I also made a pan of rolls. They rose better but aren't as photogenic as I'm still getting used to how you shape rolls:

fruity buns

I'm thinking I might freeze part of the bread. Or maybe I'll use it for cream-cheese sandwiches and take cream-cheese sandwiches instead of yogurt a couple days this week. (I also bet the bread will make good French toast).

I also worked some on the quilt in the frame (and may go back to that after I get done here).

And Queen Chrysalis is now a quadruped:

Chrysalis quadruped

I suspect I'm done with the hardest part of the crocheting though I still have a fair bit (the mane, especially, looks fairly complex) to do. But at least the bulk of the crocheting with black is done. (I do still have to do the horn and the ears).

I also mowed the lawn. It didn't really need it but it's supposed to storm/rain the times during the week when I might be free, and I didn't want it to get away from me. (I've talked to a few other people about that letter from the city last month; the consensus is that while it was OK for them to warn me "the grass in the back really needs cutting," it was done in a heavy-handed way better suited for someone who had previous infractions. But whatever. One thing I've learned, and this irritates me, is that many organizations have the default setting that People Are Irresponsible and Won't Listen, and so people like me wind up feeling inappropriate shame over things that maybe we should be reminded more gently about.)

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Ooo... the cream cheese sandwich idea sounds tasty! And the bread looks delicious.

I don't know what your recipe called for but I have seen that often when wheat flour is used the amount of yeast is increased to help with the "heavier" flour.

Having used several of them for years now, I highly recommend stoneware loaf pans. They are pricey to start with but all of my breads come out of the pans great (even quickbreads) and my yeast loaves are always crunchy on the sides and bottom. I got mine from Pampered Chef but I'm sure there are other brands out there.