Friday, September 12, 2014

Feels like fall

We had our first real fall-ish day today. (The Dallas all-news radio channel said this was the coolest - in terms of predicted low - since mid-May).

It rained quite a bit. It looked like we were getting all the rain we were supposed to have gotten over the past few weeks today. (It was about an inch and two-thirds).

It's also a LOT cooler. I approve of this. It feels like time to start wearing knitwear again and cooking "fall" foods and all that. I made chicken and dumplings tonight for dinner. It was pretty good. Not quite as good as my mom's, but still pretty good.

I might bake bread again this weekend.  Or do something else. I ordered some stuff from King Arthur Flour, including a traditional dry/candied fruit mix, and I have a bunch of British tea cake and bun recipes that call for candied fruit. I also want to try doing red velvet brownies sometime, after finding a recipe for them. (I also got special "red velvet flavoring" from KAF.)

The dental appointment was fine, nothing wrong with my teeth. I still dislike the sonicator because of the noise it makes and how that sound is conducted by my bones into my head. Luckily, the hygienist didn't need to use it much. ("Wow, you take really good care of your teeth." Yeah, after a childhood of fillings and three crowns (all to replace old big fillings) as an adult, I feel like that's important).

I'm caught up on my grading for now. I do need to submit quarter-term reports  (Attendance and all that jazz. Some of it is for the students on teams). And finish up my post-tenure review (I only have to add one thing to my vita and summarize my evaluation scores). And sometime write a biostats exam. But I'm going to take some time off this weekend and do....I don't know. Knit on something, or crochet on the Queen Chrysalis, or finally get back to working on a quilt top. Something.

Because this (spotted in my twitter stream):


No comments: