Sunday, August 17, 2014

and something different

I finally wore something that worked with the Belvedere cardigan, so here are photos.

(They are truly hideous photos of me. My allergies are bad and one eye is partially hived up. I hate the way I look in this photo but I don't have the energy to try to take another one.)

MVC-031S

I liked the pattern and it knit up quickly. On break, I finished the second front in a bout a day and each of the sleeves in about a day.

I will say I don't think I'll use "Sweater" (Spud and Chloe) again. It's a high-cotton content yarn and I"m just not that great a fan of cotton. And blocking it took a lot of effort because it wanted to stretch all over the place - one of the big faults of cotton, in my mind.


I wish I could think of more happy things to say about this but right now I'm so mired in worrying about my yard and everything that I can't. (It's raining right now and if it doesn't stop after church I won't be able to finish today)

Here are the buttons, which I picked out at the dressmaker shop up in Illinois:

button

(Dangit, why did I ever leave Illinois? At least there yards were controllable, not full of weedy monsters that grew three inches overnight)

(Long time readers might notice that I changed the little title card a while back, it used to have an "obsessed with cleaning" line in it - because the literary fillyjonks are - I've decided I just have to accept the fact that I am a SLOB and own that. I'm a slob about my office; I get written up by Safety for having too many papers stacked up on my desk. I'm a slob about my yard; I can't keep the flowerbeds weeded. And my house is a mess now too.  And my hair is usually a mess and my makeup is never quite right and my shirts come untucked and and and. So I'm a quadruple slob and I feel like I fail at being an adult. Fat loser messy slob who probably should be sent to re-education to try to learn how not to be such a slob. Really, what it would take is giving up all my hobbies and  staying over an extra hour per day in my office to sort and file, and taking an hour at home to clean or do yardwork. And devoting my entire weekends to cleaning and yardwork. I think the hair is a lost cause short of having a regular hairdresser.)

3 comments:

Chris Laning said...

You have my sympathies. My yard is just as messy, though much smaller. Your house is probably both larger and tidier than mine -- only nobody is harassing me about them.

You don't have to be "perfect" according to someone else's standards to be an accepted adult. You are an adult in your own way, and how you choose to set your priorities is your own business. They are trying to transgress those boundaries, so of course you're angry.

Do make them tell you specifically what constitutes an acceptable yard. Don't guess. And absolutely DO hire a landscaper if you don't enjoy the work.

The standards it sounds like they are trying to set are only reasonable for people who don't have a full-time job. You do, and you don't have a stay-at-home "wife" who can pick up the slack either. You need help so you don't feel so burdened -- so hire some.

Nicole said...

The definition of "adult" can vary widely. Go with the one that makes your life the most enjoyable because we only get one go-round. :)

I got a guy from Craigslist when I obliterated my jungle of a yard last fall. I despise yard work so I just looked for someone cheap who would chop it all down and haul it all off. My neighbors were pretty mad for awhile since I cleared "their" invasive species weeds off of MY fence, but since the vine has grown back on their side I think they are over it by now.

I like the pattern on the stitching for the cardigan. I love open work like that. And the buttons are totes squee!

Lynn said...

All *real* adults are slobs. ;-)

Seriously, I once saw a sign that said "A neat desk is a sign of a sick mind." Maybe you need a yard version of it just to annoy the neighbors and the city.