Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Two unconnected thoughts

While waiting for my next soil sample to soak up:

What, what? Duke's mayonnaise is favored for tomato sandwiches?

I may have to try this the next ripe tomato I get (danged slugs have got to a few of them before I did).

I've actually never had a tomato sandwich. Apparently they are a thing around here, maybe in the rest of the southern-influenced areas: you take bread (I presume standard white bread), spread it with mayo, put sliced tomato on it. The ladies at church were talking about it when we worked the most recent funeral lunch.

(I tend to prefer my tomatoes cooked but I would try a tomato sandwich with them raw.)


Second: I wonder of Pinkie Pie and Maud have a cousin on their dad's side who is a "soilologist" (like Maud is a Rocktologist*) who is named Mud Pie.

If I were part of their family I would definitely be Mud Pie given my research interests.

(*And they described her as "working on a degree in Rockology." I guess coming out and calling her a Rocktologist....well, that sounds like something else that is definitely not involving rocks and definitely not something you want on a kids' show.)

3 comments:

Nicole said...

My grandfather loved tomato sandwiches but his wife made the mayo. He was even known to use angel food cake if he was out of bread... Blech. Personally, I prefer cooked and smushed into sauce for my tomatoes. :)

Unknown said...

Harriet the Spy's favorite sandwich was tomato mayo on white bread. I tried it once. Not my thing.

Charlotte said...

I like tomato sandwiches but I butter the bread so it doesn't get soggy from the juice in the tomato. If you think of it as a BLT minus the B and L, it makes it a tasty suggestion for a light summer lunch. It wouldn't be a sandwich carried in a lunch but rather one made and eaten at lunch time.