Sunday, July 06, 2014

In my room

That's where I've spent most of my home-time yesterday and today. Cool in here, something like 81 or 82 in the rest of the house. Not fatal but not comfortable. (Apparently OSHA or someone has declared that 78 F is the maximum room temperature for comfort)

I mostly worked on the hexagon quilt - it's all handsewing, so I can do it where ever. Yes, I recognize that it's probably not entirely wise to sew - with a tiny quilting needle that COULD get lost - sitting on my bed, but I really don't have space in the room right now for a chair. My laundry basket is in here, as part of the frantic clean-up before the HVAC dude came - normally it lives in the hallway where the furnace closet is.

I made a bunch more hexagons and added some more to the top itself. (I might take a picture tomorrow afternoon and post it. Right now, the computer is in here with me but the camera and the cables necessary to upload photos are in my home office where it's hot, and meh, I don't want to leave my comfortable room again - I had to do fix and eat dinner (don't want to eat pasta with tomato sauce sitting on my bed!) so it's a relief to be back in here.)

After I shut this down I might switch over to crocheting on the Chrysalis. I've got the head mostly done and the body looks equally simple.

I'm still tired. It was very loud until very late at night Friday night (well, actually, Saturday morning, by the clock.). I referred to the semi-delinquent teens down the street? Apparently they bought out a fireworks stand, I saw them out in the street shooting stuff off. They may also have been the people in the alleyway behind our houses that were shooting off really loud - like M-80s - firecrackers. There was some noise last night but a lot less. There was also a great deal of fireworks trash out around Saturday morning. I picked up what had strayed into my yard and the front of my street. I don't know if the teens were made to pick theirs up or if the yardman who came later on Saturday did it (if so, I hope he charged extra) but at least it's gone.

(Incidentally, are M-80s still even legal? I vaguely remember one of my cousins whooping with joy when he found the place they were staying for the summer was near Indian property (I don't know that there are "reservations," proper, in Michigan), and he could buy M-80s there; they were illegal in the rest of Michigan.)

And then finally, this - I think I'm going to include it in at least one Powerpoint for one of my classes. In fact, I might print it out and put it on my office door:


The funny thing is, I tend to remember the Latin names for most plants I work with BEFORE I can remember the common names. Especially if it's something I don't run into very often. (Poison ivy I think of as poison ivy; some of the other more-obscure stuff I find myself going, "Oh, that's Gnaphalium before I think of the common name ("cudweed")

1 comment:

Don said...

The local botanical garden mostly lists only the "common" names on plant labels, which is seriously irritating. A nightshade with large clusters of lavender-blue flowers is identified only as "paradise flower," for instance. Online searches for that name turn up innumerable pictures of Strelitzia reginae, and the Solanum genus is very numerous. It took quite a bit of time to determine that the plant was probably Solanum wendlandii.