Wednesday, February 12, 2014

And "Hagrid" grows

I managed to add a couple more inches (most of a 36-row repeat) to the Hagrid sweater yesterday. But this sweater does take a long time, because every right-side row involves cabling. And it requires enough concentration that I cannot read while doing it (I have to be looking at my work).

I did also get a lot done on the simple cowl (this is of Reynolds' "Paris," sort of a chenille yarn). I read a bunch of journal articles (I'm trying to ease back into the "spend one hour working on something research-related every day" pattern).

I may have found an idea for a future research project but will have to do due diligence on it (to be sure it's not already been investigated to death). But at least it gives me something to focus on in my research-reading and planning.

I also wrote the exam for next week and so now just have to edit and type it. (I write my exams out longhand, ideally let them sit a day - so I can catch any unclear places or infelicities of phrasing - and then type them up).

(I also cut a few more hexagons, because my one functional pencil sharpener was back in my sewing room, so as I wrote the exam and my pencil wore down, I'd go back there to sharpen it and then also trace and cut a few hexagons...)

The end of this week is going to be busy. Tonight are meetings at church. Tomorrow night is rescheduled AAUW. Saturday is Honors' Day on campus, which means I interview scared college seniors who are competing for a merit-based scholarship. (And I have to be in bright and early because I'm also the meet and greet person from my department. Yeah, I know, it's strange: probably the biggest introvert in the department winds up with those duties. But the thing is, if I have a "script" or a role to play, I can do it - it's when my role is undefined that I have a hard time (like at parties where I don't know anyone....it seems like everyone is already in little clumps of 2 or 3 and I wind up assuming that no clump really wants another member joining it, so I tend to hug the wall and wonder how soon I can go home)

The weather is heading for a big change. (Not that we got any bad weather yesterday; I guess some snow technically fell but it's so dry outside it sublimed (note to weather guy: going from solid to gas state is subliming, NOT evaporating. Please to be accurate?) before it reached the ground. So they cancelled class here for nothing, unless outlying areas were so much worse it was unsafe for people (ahem, administrators in charge of making that decision) to drive.

(I think the SWAG system is used to decide on snow days. We've had class on days that it really wasn't safe, and we've occasionally been closed on days when it was probably okay, at least in town. Which makes me wonder if there's one person whose job it is to decide, and it depends entirely on what it's like where THEY live)

It's going to be nearly 70 on Sunday. My sinuses do not appreciate that. They have already been giving me trouble - at first I thought I had another tooth preparing to crack in two, but now I think it's just sinuses, as the pain keeps moving around, and it's less when I stand or sit up than when I'm lying down.


No comments: