Monday, January 06, 2014

Some "bonus days"

Well, if you watch the news at all, you've heard about the Death From Up North that's moved into something like 2/3 of the continental US.

I was also scheduled to take the train back tonight.

You can see where this is going.

I worried all day Sunday about it, called Amtrak, was assured by the friendly agent that the train for THAT day was running, and while it was still early times, he thought today's train would run also.

But I slept badly - I thought of all the times before that something went very wrong during extreme cold (not as cold as now) - screwed up switches, bad delays, and worst of all, that derailment a few years back.

So I got up early this morning, and checked online. Amtrak was advising people in the midwest to "change plans if possible." And the southbound train from yesterday was 5 hours late into St. Louis (it is now something like 11 hours late, whereever it is now). So I figured that discretion was the better part of valor, and not to be so strict about my schedule, and to reschedule. It means I miss a couple meetings, but I figured my safety (not being on a train that might have switching difficulties or even track problems) and relative comfort (being in a roomette rather than having to reschedule at the last minute into an overcrowded coach) were important.

And I got a roomette - the last one - for Thursday. So I cancelled tonight's trip, which, if what I'm hearing about the Chicago commuter trains is correct, was probably wise. (Also, apparently an Amtrak train in Michigan stalled, sat on the track for 8 hours, and had to be towed by a supply engine into a station).

So I'm thinking of these few more days as "bonus days" to my vacation, and just trying not to think about the meetings I will be absent for. (If I were flying back - well, it would be much worse. I've heard of folks with 4 day delays in being able to get home).

(And this, mes amis, is why I take more knitting projects and books than I figure I can possibly run through on the regular trip. You have to be prepared for Eventualities.)

2 comments:

Charlotte said...

Glad you posted. I was beginning to worry. It's bitter cold in St. Louis (won't be above zero any time today) and we've 10-12 inches of snow. Yesterday was quite windy so the snow has drifted. In some areas, the road crews couldn't see the roads to clear them. Staying put another few days is a good idea.

purlewe said...

good call. Being an adult means we change our plans sometimes. I hope you get home safe and sound.