Wednesday, March 13, 2013

The vegetable diet

I had kind of fallen off it for a while. Or rather, I added in a lot more other stuff. And I noticed I regained some of the weight I had lost. So I'm slowly pushing myself toward fewer snacks, fewer cookies, and being stricter about eating my dang green beans (and other things like that).

I will make one observation: as tedious and sometimes, frankly awful, as the high-vegetable diet is, I've avoided getting a cold this winter, and I normally always do. And thus far, I've manged to resist the stomach viruses making the rounds.

I do not think this is coincidental. I know that I feel physically better when I am eating a lot of vegetables, as much as my taste buds and cooking sense want to rebel.

The biggest thing for me is going to be avoiding snacks and desserts over the bare minimum. I want to do this because I looked better when I was a little thinner, and it probably is better for my health. But I do see what the studies say about willpower being a limited resource; on days when I've had to put up with extra crazy-train at work, I find myself coming home and really not wanting to boil up those vegetables for dinner, and I'd come home at 4 pm "needing" cookies because of how the day had gone.

I'm not going to totally cut out sweets; the cold turkey approach works for me for maybe three or four days and then I can't deal with a diet that never allows for anything that tastes not of grass or cellulose.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: someone needs to invent some new vegetables I'm not allergic/GI-sensitive to (raw broccoli is out, carrots, celery are out, large quantities of most squash and cucumbers are out) or that makes me gag (most of the cabbage-family stuff after it's been cooked, eggplant). I may wind up giving a try to just heating up a big bowl of (low-salt) canned tomatoes and seeing if I can tolerate eating those. Just to have a little variety.

I do like fruit and eat berries frequently but most of the nutrition books seem to promote "vegetables first and foremost; eat less fruit." I presume it's the sugars, I don't know. Or maybe it's just a sadistic plot to make people eat the stuff most likely not to taste good to them....

3 comments:

L.L. said...

How about spinach and tomatoes mixed with a dash of garlic? Nutritious with some taste.

Cold turkey doesn't work for me either. Three days in and all I can think of is having the forbidden food for dinner.

Charlotte said...

You can mix tomatoes and green beans and garnish with a bit of bacon crumbles.

A dish I've tried is "Eggs in Hell." It's basically a pasta sauce in a skillet and you break one or two eggs into it. Cover and cook until the eggs are as done as you want them.

Lynn said...

I'm thinking sadistic plot. If tomatoes are actually fruit how are they better than fruits that we normally think of as fruit?