Monday, January 28, 2013

"Woo," but interesting

My brother is a stay-at-home dad with my niece. He's a very involved dad and reads a lot (perhaps more is good for him, sometimes) about childrearing.

He was talking about some book he was reading that talked about babies that sleep most of the night but are more alert and active in the daytime. This is what Sarah-Jane is doing, and according to my mom, also the pattern I had. Allegedly these babies reach a higher possible potential of intelligence (how you intelligence-test a baby, I do not know) and wind up doing better in school than babies who are sleepier in the daytime.

On the one hand, I tend to roll my eyes at this stuff (note the post title). But on the other hand, from a data point of one, yeah, maybe it fits. And it's plausible that a baby awake during the day will have her parents talking to her more, interacting with her more - because that's when they're most awake. (And I KNOW my brother talks to the baby a lot, and reads to her, and plays music for her).

What made me laugh, though? What they are calling these babies. Apparently, the term is "Sparkle Baby." (Though if you Google search that, it mostly turns up baby-beauty-pageant stuff, which is another rant for another time).

But of course, "Sparkle" made me think of something totally different, which is why I laughed. I wonder if Twilight Sparkle was awake a lot during the day when she was a foal? (And, more realistically, I wonder if there's any chance the term was floating around when Lauren Faust did the naming, and she was aware of it. Though it seems more likely it was a little joke about another very-popular-with-fans Twilight....)

(Though I admit,  the older I get, the less "sparkly" I feel, though that might be more a factor of working with other smart and driven people than a factor of my necessarily getting any dumber....)

1 comment:

CGHill said...

There was a unicorn named Twilight in Generation 1, though the Twilight Sparkle we know and love is more closely based on the G1 Moondancer character.

Reportedly, "Twilight Twinkle" was proposed as the name for the new pony. (Parents, according to fanon: Night Light and Twilight Velvet.)