Tuesday, January 29, 2013

one hour: easier

It is a lot easier to set a timer and work on the article revision for an hour at a go, and then when that hour is up, decide that it's OK to stop if I need to stop.

This morning I wound up muttering at the reviewer, "You want a PAGE NUMBER for a quotation from a journal article? NO scientific journal I have ever submitted to DOES that, nor does the journal you were reviewing for expect it!"

I'm wondering if it was someone who had a REALLY bad day, and just 'kicked the dog,' where the dog was my poor little manuscript. On the other hand - I did find a place where I miswrote something and it was a bad mistake. (How did I miss that? I read the thing through so many times)

But, blah. It's really easy to burn your brain out on rewriting. I'd work on it 20 minutes or so at a go and then take a break, until I'd accumulated my hour for the day.

At least now I have the freedom to decide after my class is done whether to just go home for lunch and come back and work, or (as I had planned) stay home and clean house. (Originally, cleaning house was to be a necessity because I have to have the piano tuner out, but he can't come this week....)


***

Also, a totally unrelated thing but I saw this linked somewhere and I want to keep the link for a time when I have a half-hour to listen to the interview, but: Eugene Peterson: Become a Storyteller. I've read a number of Peterson's essays and really learned from them, and I also used his "Message" translation of the Bible with my Youth Group - and I still use it for my own study, because it's a different translation - kind of "modern English," but also, Peterson does less "prettifying" of some of the hard things people say than some translators did, and so you get a very different view of the verses, and it makes you think. (I guess what I mean is: from Peterson's translation you get more of a sense that Christianity, if you're doing it the way it's intended to be, can be hard work and it demands a lot of you.)

So when I get a little time, I want to watch the interview. As I said, it's about a half-hour long so it will probably have to be some afternoon here after I've finished my work, or some Saturday when I have a little spare time.

1 comment:

Lydia said...

My guess is that it was a bad day for him and he took it out on you; the page number sounds as if he was just looking for things to say.