Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Odd random thought

Walking across campus to the (new location of) Health Services (to get my allergy desensitization shot), I noticed the landscaper has used fancy basil and ornamental pepper plants in the campus plantings. And it struck me: They couldn't do that if this were Southeastern Equestria State University, because the students would always be grabbing a quick meal by grazing on the plantings. (I wonder if Ponyville has special laws about landscaped areas, to protect them from ponies in need of a quick cheap lunch?)

And I wonder if they'd have different sites of higher education for the different types of ponies...because there are different skill-sets there - dealing with flight and weather conditions, or building/planting/growing stuff, or using magic. Or would there be some social-engineery type who would point out that separating the pony races for education was harmful, and perhaps impose some sort of The Animals' School model, where all Pegasi were required to at least attempt both magic and gardening, and all Earth ponies were required to try flying? (I can see the lawsuits coming). Of course, if it was like typical American universities, rather than lower-level schools, there would be different "majors" for different skill sets. (Hrm. Kind of like our aviation school, and the more applied of the sciences programs, and..... I don't know what would map best with Unicorn Magic as a major. Art and Theater, maybe?)

I don't have a smartphone to text on (and maybe run into a light pole while texting...) so I have to use my imagination when I'm walking across campus. (And today it went to Ponies, because I went home for the 12:30 repeat - the Parasprites episode. Which has as its "real" moral, "Don't discount your friends' ideas even if they sound goofy" but which I always imagine the moral to be, "An invasive species makes a really lousy pet." (And shame on you, Fluttershy! You should KNOW better!) I would also note that, keeping with the folklore/mythology allusions in this cartoon, the episode has at least a nod to The Pied Piper of Hamelin. Except Pinkie doesn't come back and demand payment, and threaten to charm all the foals off into a secret mountain when that payment is not forthcoming....which would make for an extremely dark episode, actually)

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

Any chance you'll be able harvest some of the basil for your kitchen?