Wednesday, August 22, 2012

A good day

I always count it a good day (or at least, having the potential to be a good day) when I can wear something I've made.

Today, I have two things on: The purple checked dress I made last year, and then, after I had dressed, I thought, "Some of those classrooms are sort of chilly, I might want a little jacket or something to go over it (Thank God and the universe for the weather having cooled down to "normal" or just below it. I remember years when it was still well over 100 this time of year). So I was going to take a simple white terrycloth jacket I made years back (which I should probably replace at some point; I've worn it A LOT). But then I saw the Airy Cardigan I made hanging in my closet, and I wondered, "Would that match with the lilac colors in the dress?

So I tried it on.

It matched.

I admit, I always do a little fistpump of joy when I take two pieces out of my closet I had never thought of wearing together before, put them together, and see how well they work. And yeah, it might still be a wee bit warm for Airy, but I can always take it off and hang it over the chair at the front of the room if that's the case.

It's the little things like that that make me happy in this life. (Dangit, where was it that I recently read the quotation that "Three hundred small pleasures are more life-enriching than one large one"? Maybe it was in "The Gentle Art of Domesticity." But I do think that's true: to sustain my happiness it works much better for me to do things like buy a new nail varnish now and then, or pick up a nice chocolate bar for myself when I happen to be somewhere that sells them, or order a paperback book that I've been thinking about reading, than it would be for me to, I don't know, go and buy a $500 purse or something. I might spend the same amount  on "little treats" over the course of the year....but somehow the little treats sustain me better than one big splurge does.)

No comments: