Tuesday, July 24, 2012

At long last

I finished the Emily shawl (this was one from Knitscene that was re-published in the "best of" Knitscene book). Got the last bit of the sewn bind-off done around 7:30 tonight.

Here it is blocking.

Emily shawl blocking

I think adding the two repeats (doing 40 extra rows) was a good idea, it might have been a little small otherwise.

It did, like many yarns with dark colors in them, lose a certain amount of dye to the soaking water. So blocking was also a good idea from that standpoint. (I followed the pattern instructions: they tell you to soak the piece for 20 minutes. I suppose there's some reason for that.) Luckily I had an old towel that I don't really care whether it gets dye stains on it.

Here's a close up of the lace pattern. Lace looks so much better when it's blocked. I think that's one of the reasons why I like making it - that transformation that happens when you block.

Emily shawl lace close-up

It'll have to dry at least overnight. (It's been very humid here). Maybe tomorrow I will have some in-action pictures of me modeling it.

1 comment:

Kris said...

That is absolutely lovely. Good job, FJ.