Tuesday, February 14, 2012

And another thought...

One of the people on CPAAG posted a little poster (picture with caption) for all the single people. I won't reproduce it here as it uses a word (which I will euphemize) that I normally don't use...

It showed a person silhouetted against a sunset, and it said: "I'm single. And you'd have to be [stinking] amazing to change that."

Honestly, when I let myself NOT listen to the societal dictates (that say you need to be matched off like salt-and-pepper shakers), that's pretty much how I feel: I'd be open to the idea of being part of a pair, but only if it promised to be better than the life I have now. (I've dealt with too many students suffering the aftereffects of divorce/breakup/bad relationships to think that rushing blindly after some chap because he's a chap and because he's single is a good idea).

I probably let myself buy in too much to the idea that I'm "weird" if I don't fit some pre-prescribed plan, and that "weird" is not something you want to be. (Though considering that Mr. Yankovic has made a long and enjoyable career out of being "weird....")

And besides, I'm not sure I could be sufficiently not-weird to fit societal norms. (And now I'm thinking of the episode of SpongeBob SquarePants where he forced himself to be "normal," and how badly that turned out...he wound up having to go get Patrick's help for a re-weirdening.)

****

(I did thank the person for their help. I thanked them when they came through and offered, and thanked them again when they helped. And I know they're someone who's had people not come through for them - and they've commented in the past how they know they can "always depend on" me, so I figure we're good.)

****
Still no sign of the wayward Valentine's box. Either the shipper was way slower than they promised my dad, or it's gone missing. Well, if it doesn't show up in a few days...he may have to ask them what's up. (I don't think it's anything perishable; I suspect it's tea because a while back he was asking about my preferences.)

1 comment:

Lynn said...

I saw something a while back that said a lot more people are choosing to stay single now days that ever before. You're not weird; you're just ahead of the times. You're a trendsetter.