Thursday, December 01, 2011

Duckweed and ponies

I had wanted to do a lab involving duckweed this fall. The problem was...the local duckweed sources had dried up because of the drought, and the one that still had water in it, the duckweed was way out in the middle of the stream, and the day I was out there, I didn't feel up to wading in after it. (Also, it was in one of the not-so-great parts of town, and I could hear dogs barking and wasn't entirely sure that one of them wasn't going to tear after me or if they were all fenced in).

But, one of my friends on Ravelry came through...she cleaned out an aquarium she had and sent me some. (Yes, I suppose because duckweed is invasive some places, we may have broken Da Rulez by doing that, but I solemnly swear that I am not up to no good with the duckweed...it will live in an aquarium in my lab and not leave the building).

In addition, she included a surprise for me...wrapped up separately from the duckweed (so they wouldn't become duckweed-flavored), some Smarties (the U.S. kind of Smarties....the ones that are like SweeTarts. Which I happen to like) and a PONY!!!!11!!!eleventy!!!

I'm guessing it's one of the "Gen 3" ponies - not the first run ever, but one of the older ones. And she she's had a modification paint job...so she's unique. (Kathy, who sent the stuff, says that her daughter did the modification paint job...)

Calypso

I'm naming her Calypso, after the Saturnine moon, because it looks like her "butt symbol" (cutie mark) is Saturn.

She's on my Christmas tree right now and seems to fit right in. I will admit to squealing a bit when I found that there wasn't just duckweed in the package. And yeah, I realize, it's kind of silly for someone of my age and alleged gravitas to be so stoked over a little pony, but you know? I'd rather be the kind of person who can be made happy out of all proportion over a little thing like that, than someone who's sufficiently jaded not to find it funny or charming or happy-making.

Also: I got an email last night saying my Victorian Christmas Crafts book has shipped. Yes! I'm looking forward to being able to flip through this one again, and have my very own copy for my very own craft shelves.

No comments: