Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Another Toasty Twisty

I've been making some progress on the second Toasty Twisty scarf. (This one is going to be a Christmas present, so while I have a deadline, it's not a close deadline).

another toasty twisty scarf

I'm using Lion Brand's new "Amazing" yarn for this, the colorway is called "Glacier Bay." I think this yarn is designed to be a less-expensive competitor to things like Noro Kureyon.

It's a lot less scratchy than Kureyon is, but it's still not super-soft. (It may be that "nifty color changes" and "soft yarn" represent a tradeoff: you can have one or the other, not both). It's got some acrylic content and some wool, which is how I suppose they keep the price down somewhat. (And it keeps it more easy-care.)

I like what the yarn does colorwise but given the texture of the knit-up yarn, I'm not sure I'd want an entire sweater of it. (Also, I "run hot," so any high-synthetic-percentage yarn means I get too warm....wool is warm but at least it "breathes.")

I will say, though, that I really like the Toasty Twisty Scarf (link to the pattern author's blogpost giving the pattern). It's easily memorized, it works up faster than a lot of fancier-stitch scarves. And it's reversible - you do the twisted-stitch minicable on the middle two rows of the pattern, so the scarf looks good from the obverse or reverse side.

1 comment:

anita said...

(Also, I "run hot," so any high-synthetic-percentage yarn means I get too warm....wool is warm but at least it "breathes.")

Me, too. Not only no synthetics, but no turtlenecks. And NOTHING with spandex, even a tiny percentage.

Sigh. It's interesting, to say the least—and the Husband is always cold these days. Should be an interesting winter.