Monday, February 21, 2011

Amused or annoyed?

Not sure which to be over this.

(And YES, I have begun the paper revision. Have incorporated most of the comments about the introduction and am working on the materials and methods).

Anyway: the NYTimes seems to be declaring blogs as "like, so OVER.": Blogs wane as the young drift to sites like Twitter.

They observe that there was a 2% drop in blogging last year for 18-33 year olds. Along with pull quotes that essentially sum up to, "Writing words is, like, haaaaaard, man." (I'm sure there are younger bloggers out there who DON'T feel that way, but most of the quotes they had seemed to portray the younger internet users as people who were bored by long sentences.)

What they don't say in that headline - and this is where the "amused or annoyed" comes in - is that blogs by 34-45 year olds increased by 6%, by 46-55, by 5%, and 65-73 year olds, 2%.

I'd say that's hardly a "wane," which is what they seem to be implying; it's more of a demographic shift.

FWIW: I turn 42 on Sunday. (I'm hoping, but doubting, that this is the year I learn the secrets to Life, the Universe, and Everything.)

2 comments:

anita said...

If you do (find out the Secrets of the Universe, etc.), I hope you'll share. I'm sixty, and still waiting to feel like a *real* adult instead of a 13-year old passing as one . . .

Anonymous said...

Happy coming birthday! Here's a post on number 42 and Meaning of Life