Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Okay, get this:

My ISP sent out an e-mail telling us we needed to call in and verify our account.

I probably got it, but I also get so many phishing e-mails like that - telling me I need to e-mail the company my name, address, e-mail account, password, mom's maiden name, SS#, etc., that I've become highly suspicious and I probably deleted the e-mail figuring it was spam.

Nope. It was REAL. So now they have to reinstate my account, and it's gonna take a while, because they have to do it so the e-mail is not lost.

What irks me a little is this: I get a monthly bill. Could they not have sent a notice in the bill, to make it seem more official? And for that matter, I'm STILL PAYING THE DANG BILL EVERY MONTH. Should not that be enough evidence I still want and use my e-mail account? Crikey.

The other thing? The first person I talked to this morning had NO IDEA. No idea that this was going on. She was absolutely baffled as to why I could not access my e-mail.

This frustrates me, because my other "provider" options here are not wonderful - go with A T and T and deal with all their shenanigans (and, if you want to STOP using them, it's like breaking up with the weepiest, neediest boyfriend on the planet) or pay twice what I pay now for satellite-based Internet.

At least it's "supposed" to be reinstated in 24 hours. We'll see. I have this month's bill at home, maybe I'll wait to send the payment in, just to see if the account gets reinstated.

(This is the same company that sent out a totally incompetent tech guy who gave me a broken cable modem. And who, when I called tech support for help with dealing with it, got some guy who assumed that 2 X chromosomes means "no brain.")

1 comment:

CGHill said...

I still distrust that alleged alert, and here's why.