Friday, May 07, 2010

I did get the borders sewn on the "Dozen Roses" quilt yesterday, but I got done too close to time to having to leave for the AAUW meeting to be able to photograph it. Maybe later today. It turned out very cute.

I spent some time thinking about what would make me happiest this weekend. And I realized that it would include getting my house all cleaned up (I've been so busy I've kind of neglected it) and getting my tomato plants and putting them in and then just staying home and knitting or quilting. So that's what I'm going to do. I think this afternoon after classes get done, I'm going to clean house, then I'm going to mow the lawn (it needs it) and maybe do some other yardwork (this time with gloves and a long sleeved shirt) and then tomorrow, I'm going to go out early in the day and get my plants (or actually, maybe better to do that this afternoon - my mom always claimed it was best to transplant late in the day because it shocked the plants less).

I also think I'm going to make a trip to the local quilt shop and get the needed sashing fabrics. And possibly take along the newly finished quilt and consider backings for it (I'm not sure I have a big enough piece of "just the right" fabric - and as my state income tax refund came in, I feel like I can spend it (it's a small refund) on an extra-nice backing for this quilt).

(ETA: Nope. The local quilt shop is closed today and tomorrow because the owner had a family emergency - I ran down there late this afternoon and found it closed. I'm trying hard not to be overly sad about it; after all, it is a family emergency for the owner, but I hate that, when I have something really nice and really fun planned that I was looking forward to, and I don't get to do it. It's not QUITE enough to tempt me to drive to McKinney, though.)

One thing I do think I want to do - as I have time and inclination - is to work down the fabric stash a little. I've been flipping through my quilting magazines and finding quilt tops I'd like to make - and as I figure out either a stack of fabrics on-hand or a single "focus" fabric that I want to use, I put it aside with the magazine. (If I have a "focus" fabric but no others, then I can hunt the stash for fabrics that go). I have a pattern in mind for the "traveling gnome" fabric I bought a while back. And a pattern for some semi-vintagey fabrics (I think some are from the Katie Jump Rope line, and the others from the Peas and Carrots fabric line) that are deep in the stash. And I found a simple "pinwheel" quilt where I think I can use the yellow sashing I rejected from the Mixtape Quilt - I'm thinking either using blue fabrics for the pinwheels (oh, I think I have a fat quarter packet of yellow and blue teacup-themed prints that would work - will have to look for that) or using 1930s reprint fabrics.

And I've been pressing off and stacking up the 1930s reprint vintage fabrics as I tidy the sewing room bit by bit: I also want to start cutting again for an eventual Tumbler quilt - big enough to cover my bed this time - all out of 1930s era reproduction prints.

So, rather than driving to McKinney through frustrating-making traffic, I think I'm going to shop my own fabric stash this weekend - maybe put together packets of stuff I want to work with, maybe do some cutting for when I want to just sit and sew, and probably wind up delighting myself by finding something wonderful I had bought and then forgotten about.

No comments: