Tuesday, February 09, 2010

The plumbers are here. I am in near disbelief.

The one guy said they can run a "feeler" from the little kitchen cleanout, find the line, put in a cleanout TODAY, clean it out, and I should be good.

I am not a great enough optimist to believe that all will happen until I actually see it, but I also have hope that the problem is on its way to a resolution.

I will also note that a City M and O (Maintenance and Operations?? I don't know) guy was looking in my neighbor's cleanout, which makes me wonder if multiple people on my street are having drainage issues - suggesting it is a larger, neighborhood wide issue that (I would hope) the city will fix soon.

Even if it IS a city problem, I still need the cleanout for the future.

The surprising thing? I was anticipating something like $5000 on the cleanout; turns out it should be less than $500. It seems a much more minor operation than I thought it would be.

(Unless I need a whole new drain line. I suppose that could be what happened to my neighbors, where their whole entire yard was torn up and even part of the street. I hope that's not it.)

And Charles, I wonder if we are somehow fatalistically linked; did you not have a failure of a water heater or gas line to same shortly before or shortly after mine?

Maybe I should have your cell # to warn you just in case my house ever blows up or something.

1 comment:

CGHill said...

Apparently everyone on this block except me had issues four or five years ago; the city figured out that it was their fault and replaced a very large line that runs under my very large fence. (They rebuilt the fence, but a couple of trees on the far side were sacrificed.)

I have two cleanouts, one near the house, one near the junction with the city line. Just in case.