Monday, October 05, 2009

Something Lynn mentioned in her most recent comment reminded me. (Yes, yes, I'm getting back to finishing writing that exam). I fear I probably am to the point of beginning to need bifocals. Especially in lower light, I find I have to hold things with fine print farther from my face than I used to to be able to focus on them. The funny thing, is it's not like they go blurry too close (like things far away go blurry if I take my glasses off), it's like my brain can't assimilate the information.

But, ugh. I fear - because of other coordination issues - I'll probably have a hard time getting used to them. (I already regularly trip myself running up the stairs in my classroom building.)

Of course, I could always do like the butler in the Edwardian House PBS program did, and get a pair of reading glasses and wear them on top of my regular glasses. It looks odd, but at least I'd be able to take them off. (And also: being a cheapskate about some things, I'd rather just buy a pair of department store cheaters than have a custom-made set that would set me back $200 or more)

what a drag it is getting old.

4 comments:

Lynn said...

I have no-line bifocals. They are expensive!! but they're great. Besides not looking like an old lady, which is the main reason I chose them, I can see things at various distances with just a slight head movement, which I don't even think about. (Except when I suddenly realize that I've been holding my head at a funny angle for several hours so I can see the computer screen) I didn't have any trouble getting used to them. The only thing that bothers me a little bit is walking down stairs. My husband wears bifocal contact lenses, which he has a lot of trouble with but he refuses to just give up and get bifocal glasses.

Charlotte said...

I, too, have gradient lenses. As Lynn said, they're expensive but there is next to no adjustment to wearing them. Unless you tell them, no one knows you're wearing bifocals ... or in my case, trifocals. I chose to go with the gradients after I saw a co-worker's struggles to see through her bifocals at her word processer (this was before the spread of PCs in the office). No way did I want to do that.

Mom on Health Patrol said...

Another vote for gradient lenses here. No adjustment period at all...they are great. Welcome to your forties!

Chuck Pergiel said...

Must be Rolling Stones day. First Dustbury, now you.