Wednesday, December 03, 2008

In Japan, even the food is cute:

onigiri

This is a little knitted onigiri (rice ball with nori seaweed - that's what the black strip where the "face" is is). It's from a free pattern here.

It's very fast to knit up - most of the knitting on this I did Sunday night while watching "The Bishop's Wife" (which is fast becoming one of my favorite Christmas movies*)

This is perhaps a slight imposter (odd, Firefox treats that as a misspelled word) as rice balls go...it's mainly knit of a soy yarn. I used Paton's SWS for the main body and a bit of wool-ease for the nori strip.

I had originally wanted to fill it with those plastic pellet things but I couldn't find the bag I thought I had, so I just went ahead and stuffed it. I think a set of three of these, maybe with a few pellets for weight, would make a fun juggling set.


(*Heck, I have a LOT of "favorite" Christmas-themed movies: "It's a Wonderful Life" (of course), "The Bishop's Wife," "Miracle on 34th Street" (but I will grumpily observe I prefer the non-colorized version of the original), "A Christmas Story," "Elf" (which is newer but is very cute and funny and has what I think is a surprisingly acynical message for a modern comedy), the various versions of "A Christmas Carol" (though of late I prefer the version with Patrick Stewart as Scrooge), and even "Scrooged" which is silly and a little cringe-y in places but it also has Bill Murray...)

And I also finished the funny little thing that I happened to think of yesterday afternoon. It is a very simple modification of the onigiri pattern, but it has some seasonal appeal.

Meet "Nat":

chestnut

Nat is, in case it's not clear, a chestnut.

(Why name the chestnut Nat? This is why, in case your mind doesn't make the odd connections mine does:



(And that counts as my Christmas link for today! And this is one of my favorite of the "secular" Christmas songs.)

I suppose I could have just as justifiably (and perhaps some would argue with more justification) named the chestnut Mel, as he is the one who actually wrote the song:



However, for me at least, Nat King Cole "owns" The Christmas Song. (And, I have to admit, I like Cole's voice better than Torme's.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you - Nat King Cole does "own" The Christmas Song.

(Heh... the captcha is "quentle". That should be a real word. I wonder what it would mean. A type of yarn maybe? It sounds sort of crafty.)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Mmm. Juggling + onigiri = Christmas present to myself. Must make, once the pile of mittens is done. (oh, and the deleted comment was me; it put in my gmail email automatically, which do not want.

kbehroozi said...

It's really painful to watch Judy in that second video--I don't know when it was filmed, but she's clearly already deteriorated quite a bit :-/

Kucki68 said...

At first I thought it was a sheep. See how knitting forms ones mind? It is however cute and so is the chestnut.