Thursday, November 20, 2008

I think the TARDIS and I need to see other projects for a little bit. (So much for finishing it before Thanksgiving and taking it up to my parents' house then).

I think I need to do another amigurumi. When Christmas/generalized "holiday season" approaches, I start wanting to make toys. I think last year I said how I felt an urge to make bunches of them and keep them in a basket by the door and just hand them out to anyone who comes to my door (except rarely DOES anyone, and usually it's the postman if it is, and usually I'm not home then).

But there is something for me about colder weather and impending holidays and toy-making. I might make another one of those amineko cats, even though they're extremely time consuming (and hard on the hands if you use the acrylic yarn like you're supposed to. I might pull out a ball of leftover wool or some of my stockpiled Paton's Classic Wool and use that instead). Or I might make one of the little mice in the book that Rupert came out of. Or the dachshund dog from that same book.

Or I might go in another direction and pull out my stash of fashion-fabric bits and bobs and make some sewn and stuffed critters. Maybe some little bears out of bright dress prints...the idea of making five or six or seven off of the same pattern, just different fabrics kind of appeals to me.

Part of it may be that when I was a kid, and when I had time off from school (like at the holidays), one of the ways I spent time was by making toys.

I'm contemplating - if there's any interest at all - in offering to do a toy-swap after the holidays, where I would make a critter (either sewn, knitted, or crocheted) in exchange for same. But AFTER the holidays, when there's more time (and when there's really nothing at all special going on...I find I have to find celebratory little things to do in January and February to kind of make up for the fact that there's a post-holiday let-down, that it's kind of chilly and damp and you can't go out and work in the garden and it's not the field season yet, and that you're being yammered at on the television to go on a diet/stop spending money foolishly/somehow "improve" your sorry lot. So making toys and in general permitting a bit of immaturity seems like a nice counterweight to that.)

I'm also considering, right before I leave for Christmas, getting an amaryllis or some other kind of "forcing" bulb and setting it up to force while I'm gone, so if things go right, I'll return to something flowering.

Of course, also, when I return in January, I will have a reconfiguring of my living room to do - to make room for the piano. I've already figured it out - move two bookcases into the guest room, put the sofa against that wall (with the "sofa table" that is now against a different wall behind it), move my 'quilting chair' to where the sofa table is now....freeing up a big chunk of space where the piano can go.

But moving all those books, meh. I'm hoping I can steal some of the cardboard copier-paper boxes from the stockroom here to fill up with books so I can move all the books in a few short trips without having to do the "take 'em off, stack 'em on the floor" bit.


Edited to add: I think I'm going to take Saturday as a slack-day instead of working. I feel like I need it. And I need to celebrate a little. Someone I love had a minor health scare (something had to be biopsied) and it turned out to NOT be cancer, after all. Whoo!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear the news about your loved one. I know how worrying that can be. My sister just learned last night that she has uterine cancer and is trying to get her surgery scheduled before the end of the year. That's going to have a big impact on our family Christmas plans but we'll get through it.

I'd be up for a toy exchange after the first of the year as long as I can either knit or sew the toy. I can't crochet well enough to do one that way.

dragon knitter said...

i'd be up for it, too! and watch your email inbox!

Kucki68 said...

How about a cat like that:

http://alison.knitsmiths.us/002886.html

in different colors? That would be fun, too.

Kucki68 said...

Did you ever come across this? http://www.pintangle.com/journal/

She has some vintage embroidery for free on her website.

Anonymous said...

I can't resist that first sentence. That's going to be one of my quotes this week. :-)