Friday, February 15, 2008

I'm back in love with working on the Vintage Vertical Stripe blanket.

feb 08 vintage vertical

I've added several more rows over the past two days. The blanket is probably about 1/5 done (it measures about 12" so far and I want it to be wide enough to actually be usable).

What I've been doing - I keep all the yarns I'm using in a box, which got shunted into my bedroom in one of my periodic "people are coming over and I need to remove the traces of Teh Crazy that exist in my public rooms!" cleaning times. So I think that's what got me off of working on it now. So what I decided to do was get the next few rows' worth of yarns out - deciding on the colors - and just line them up next to me on the sofa. When I'm done with them - or if I have a color or two completed and have to get up for some other reason - I just take them back and get more.


***

In case anyone's wondering, Northern Illinois University is not the school I did my graduate work at, nor is it where my parents taught. I know the campus very slightly because I did a summer Chatauqua course there back in 1992. (I knew a professor or two up there in the Biology department - Dr. Sorenson in particular - but they may be retired).

Still, it's a sad thing, and something that gives one pause if one teaches on a college campus. I just wish that everyone who had emotional or mental problems (because honestly, I can't think of another reason for doing what this guy did) would get help instead of doing something truly awful.

2 comments:

dragon knitter said...

my concern is where is the family in all this? most people who do these things have family around them. the guy in virginia is a prime example. he was in treatment at one time, and no one recognized the fact that he, indeed could (and did) harm someone and himself.

now, don't get me wrong. i don't want to blame families for what happens, unless it's a minor. the kids in columbine were basically ignored by their parents. the kid who did the shooting at westroads was very troubled (and did you hear that the woman he was staying with was recently arrested for selling marijuana! sheesh!)

the state of mental health care in this country is abominable, and these horrible acts just point that out (this from a mom fighting that very system, sigh)

Anonymous said...

I love the stripes. Being totally random doesn't hurt at all.