Friday, February 15, 2008

I think an interesting cultural-studies paper would be an examination of "fan culture" and what particular cultural icons are "adopted" by crafters and turned into craft items.

For knitting, Super Mario seems to be really big - I've seen Super Mario characters on afghans, and toys of the little power-up mushrooms (those may have been crocheted, though). And today, there was a link to a hat made to look like one of the chain-chomps.

It also seems that Futurama is big. And Invader Zim. And, of course, Harry Potter - the whole Harry Potter universe had been so subsumed into the crafting world that it's almost a cliche to mention it.

Lord of the Rings was a lesser thing - I've seen scarves made to look like some of the hobbit-scarves, and there's A Cardigan for Arwen. But it seems there are fewer possibilities there. (Perhaps Lord-of-the-Rings-world is not "cozy" or "safe" in the way that Harry-Potter-world often is? Or perhaps there are fewer color combinations and knitted items to consider?)

And though there's not much Star Wars inspired crafting, there are an awful lot of people who've made Yoda dolls of various sorts. (And there is, of course, the Kenobi jacket).

I just think it would be interesting to look at the intersection of these two pop-culture phenomena: crafting and the different entertainment media.

It also seems that among the toy-making knitters and crocheters, octopi and squid are very big. I am not sure why - I have a couple I've made but they're not the first thing I'd think of. If I were sitting down to design a toy based on an unusual animal I was particularly fond of, I'd probably choose anteaters. Or pangolins. Or a giraffe. Or a kangaroo, or some other marsupial.

****

Dragonknitter, I THINK your gift came. The book on the history of plumbing? It came without a note or anything so I assume it's from you.

If it is, I have to say it's most excellently amusing to get a book on the history of plumbing as a Valentine's Day gift. Thank you.

1 comment:

dragon knitter said...

yes, that was it, lol. i thought you'd get a giggle out of the thought (i bought it through amazon marketplace, so they don't let you do anything like notes, etc.)

as for LOTR, Spin Off actually had a contest where you had to handspin the yarn, and use it to make something from LOTR. most of the elven cloaks (the ones that made the hobbits invisible) were woven, but they looked pretty good. it also came out that the wool used to make the original cloaks was available for purchase as well, if you wanted to pay duty from New Zealand.