Saturday, December 08, 2007

funny pictures
moar funny pictures

Cookie-making day.

(And yeah, the first batch did not go so well - I made a variant of the Fudgy Oat Bars and after taking them out of the oven, I set them on top of the stove to cool. Unfortunately, I forgot that one of the burners - or, as some around here call them, "eyes"* - of the stove was on [one thing I do not like about electric stoves is that you cannot immediately see that a burner is on unless it is so high it is glowing]. And the bottom of the bars got burnt - REALLY burnt, not just "I can scrape it off and it will be okay" burnt. Stinky burnt. So I made a second batch, I had enough of the stuff on hand)

(*Just like Paula Deen! I kind of did a double take the first time I heard her use that term)

The other cookies I've made are refrigerator type
(And dragon knitter, you are absolutely right - they are much neater and easier to make than drop cookies. I may make cookies more often now that I realize how easy it is to do them - for me, the big hurdle to wanting to make cookies is not the mixing up, it's the endless-feeling, messy process of dropping them out by teaspoonfuls onto a cookie sheet. It's a lot easier to cut chilled dough into nice neat circles and put them on the sheet).

I made the Chai Shortbread cookies from this December's Cooking Light. They are fantastic - crisp and buttery and just slightly spicy and sweet. I might make these again next week for the Jesus' Birthday Party at church - they're pretty quick to put together (but next time I will mix the butter and sugar "the old fashioned way" instead of using the mixer; that seemed unnecessarily messy and I think the cookies would turn out just as well).

(I do not think you need to be a subscriber to Cooking Light to get access to that recipe).

I made them smaller than recommended- I made the rolls about 8" long so the cookies had a smaller diameter. They still needed to bake for nearly as long though.

I also made a batch of something called "Red and Green Christmas Cookies" out of the new 170th "birthday" cookbook from my parents' church. They're a refrigerator cookie, too, with dough much like the chai shortbread (except these have an egg), and you put finely chopped pecans and red and green candied cherries in them. They're baking now so I don't know how those taste but they certainly smell good.

The vast majority of these cookies are going over to school Monday for the (let me see if I can remember the exact phrase used) Fabulous Five-day Finals Feasting of Finger Foods. There may have been another term in there; I think I counted seven words beginning with the same letter. (Seven Fs. I nearly e-mailed some joke back about "just like a few of our students" but as it's the department chair sending out the notice, I thought perhaps even making a joke about that might be impolitic.)

I'm pretty much cookied-out, what with sampling and trying the burnt cookies to see if they were still acceptable (they were not). Bleaugh. I think I'm going to have to have something savory and not-carbohydrate for dinner.

2 comments:

Lydia said...

I hate that about electric stoves; I was making pasta back when I lived in Virginia and I put the plastic drainer on one burner to have it ready when the pasta was done. I then turned on the burner under it, not the one under the pasta water.

Anonymous said...

I've bookmarked the cookie recipe and will try it. I decided just today that I was a little tired of the same cookie recipes I've used the last few years and would like to try some new ones. So, thanks for posting the link, the recipe was accessible.

-- Grace in MA