Friday, October 26, 2007

Courtesy of Cute Overload:

Cat Sweaters. And I have to say I question the statement that cats love sweaters.

I have known four cats well in my lifetime. And, I realize a sample of four is quite small, but I think only one of those four would willingly wear (or have worn, in the case of the ones that have departed this plane of existence) a sweater.

By "willingly" I mean "without trying to shred both it and the hands of the person who put it on them."

But then, Cleo....well, she's always been a little "different." And I mean that in the bless-her-heart sense. She's just not quite got it all goin' on upstairs. That said...she's a very sweet cat, and she used to let me dress her up in old baby clothes back when I was living with my parents during grad school. (Yes, Cleo is still living...she is 19. So if you do the math, you will see that I was in fact an adult when I was dressing her in baby clothes. But whatever. I was deprived of having cats that would let me dress them up when I was a child.)

No, I won't be knitting her a sweater, though. For one thing, she's 19, which I realize is perilously old for a cat, and rather like the octogenarian who said he didn't even buy green bananas any more, I hesitate to start something long-term for her (mainly because the thought of it would make me cry too hard if she departed this plane while I was working on it). The other thing is - she's become a little tank in the past year. (My mom says the veterinarian just smiled at her last check-up and said, "I never complain about a fat old cat."). It would take more effort to sweater her than a lot of other cats.

But maybe you have a cat that would welcome a sweater. (or "sweateuw," as they insist on saying on Cute Overload.)

5 comments:

Lydia said...

I can't imagine any of our three cats would have worn a sweater, but our dog who was somewhat sweet and different (the other dog once tricked a bone out of him by running off barking, and, after he outpaced her, sneaking back) wore a sweatshirt when he was very old and suffered from the cold.

Anonymous said...

Well, I don't have any cats (allergic) but that was a sweet post.

-- Grace in MA

Anonymous said...

As I cherish my eyeballs, I would never try this with my cats!!
btw, I'm here courtesy of you saying "no one reads my blog" over at redshirtknitting :)

dragon knitter said...

jimi might put up with it. joplin? i can't get near her. she's a fat old cat (she's 12) and incredibly grumpy. the vet says she has calico blood, and they get testy when they get old. sigh. it sucks to have the only other female in the house be one who prefers to pee on my phone charger than have someone pet her. (and yes, the phone charger just died!)

rupestur said...

The girl who made that cat sweater has been my friend on Ravelry for awhile. I found it to be the funniest thing I'd seen in a long time, because not only was the caption "Cats love sweaters!" just incredibly eloquent in its sarcasm, that sweater is SO STYLIN. It's so well made and has such great attention to detail, that's probably the funniest part!