Friday, April 20, 2007

Kucki, I should probably photograph that blue quilt for you. It was made from a pattern suggested in one of the books that Gwen Marston and Joe Cunningham authored. (I don't remember the title for sure; it was one I checked out of the uni library when I was a grad student). The quilt was made of two block patterns: one, called something like Washington's Puzzle that had diagonals, and a second block that was just rectangles. In the book, it was very striking: one block type was made out of one fabric, and the other was made of another, darker fabric. The quilt had a three-dimensional appearance that I really liked. But I couldn't bear the thought (this was early in my quilting days) of making 80 identical blocks OF THE SAME FABRIC. So I tried doing light vs. dark. The 3-D thing didn't really work out that hot but the quilt top still looked kind of nice.

Except it's not really a quilt; it's a comforter. It's tied rather than quilted. I used two thick battings in it because I really wanted a thick, fluffy quilt. (I still use it sometimes, when we get the spell of really cold weather in the winter.

Oh, and I'm close to done with the Tumblers quilt; I think I have three more rows to do. And I'm going to put a narrow border on it. I might get it done this weekend.


Link of the day: this is your brain on knitting (and other fiber art). Seen at Knitter's Review.

No comments: