Sunday, April 22, 2007

I finished the tumbler quilt this afternoon:

tumfin

Finished, it's about twin bed size - 72" by 52". A good, useful size: big enough to curl up under on the sofa, big enough for me to put crosswise over the foot of my bed when it's a little too cold for just one quilt.

At first, I wasn't sure I was going to put that border on there. I had bought the fabric for it when I wasn't sure what kind of quilt I was going to do (my standard "buy for borders" is to get 2.5 yards - that usually works even for a wide border on a big quilt).

I was concerned the border would detract, or that it would be too much of the turquoise blue when I hadn't used it all that much in the quilt.

What made me re-re-think was that I had to trim the long edges of the tumblers (so they'd be straight) and if I didn't put a border on, there was a risk of the seams raveling (I had backstitched the starts and ends of the seam but that got cut off). So my choice was border or stay-stitch all around the edges.

I held a corner of the quilt up to the border fabric and decided it could work.

I think it did, pretty well.

I also think I did a good job of dispersing the different colors/fabrics over the quilt top - I don't really see anywhere that seems to have "too much dark" or "too much orange" all close to each other.

Here's a close-up:

tumfincu

I have the backing prepared for this, too - it's going to be the fabric that is the white with the red, pink, and brown dots that you can see in this shot.

If I have a free afternoon this week, I'm going to run it down to the "quilting lady" to get it in the queue for quilting.

I'm really happy with the quilt. It captures the mood that I wanted - kind of "grandma" and kind of "summer cabin." It's a more "casual" quilt than some I've done but it also seems like a very happy quilt.

7 comments:

Devorah said...

Very nice! I like the randomness of it.

Anonymous said...

absolutely gorgeous! it is so happy and bright and reminds me very much of the quilts we had around my aunt's summer cabin on a lake in upstate NY growing up.

Jennifer said...

I love all the different fabrics you picked. They all look so good together. Very bright and cheerful!

Kucki68 said...

I love the tumbler quilt. Good thing for you that you are so far away, sonst wuerde ich ihn stehlen... Love the border!

Bess said...

Happy! That's the first thought that popped into my mind - before I read your post. What a happy quilt.

Beautiful too.

Jennifer said...

I think the blue border makes the brown and orange "pop". But then that color blue is one of my favorites. Another beautiful quilt!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I love it!