Tuesday, January 23, 2007

I may have done this a while back, but Christa had it on her blog, so what the heck.

Six weird things about me.

(Now, these may not be so terribly weird. One thing I learn as time goes on is that almost everything I think is weird about me is shared by other individuals. Some things are almost so common as to register as "normal" in the true sense of being the norm, or almost the norm. But whatever...)

1. I cannot stand putting in (or having put in) eyedrops. The poor nurse at my eye doctor's had to really fight me last time before getting in the numbing eyedrops before doing the pressure-test on my eyes. I KNOW that it's essential that it be done, I KNOW it's not going to hurt me (but I will say the feeling of numbed eyes is EXTREMELY icky to me; I was glad it wore off fast). But I just can't stand the thought of anything going in my eyes. I don't wear contact lenses, in part, because of that.

2. I don't like it when food touches on the plate, or when "juice" from one thing (say, cooked green beans) runs into another thing. And I don't really like gravy except in very rare and specific instances. And most of the "fancy" sauces like bechamel and hollandaise make me kind of sick to my stomach; I'd rather just have the food plain.

3. The room must be perfectly dark for me to be able to sleep. My neighbors have a security light that goes on periodically at night and some nights it enrages me. If I have to sleep on my back (like now, when I have a cold and it's the only way to be able to breathe), I sleep with a light-blocking mask on so I'm not awakened by light.

4. I often run my knuckle along the wall as I walk down the hall (I tend to be a "hug the wall" type of person). I'm not sure why I do this; it may be a similar thing to the scene at the opening of "Monk" where you see him tapping each parking meter in turn as he walks by it. In other words, I recognize that it's something illogical and probably more than a little compulsive, but I still do it. (Not every time, and it's not like I believe something "bad" is going to happen if I don't do it or am prevented from doing it; it's more a little unconscious gesture).

5. I don't always recognize it when people are pulling my leg. I tend to respond earnestly to people's joking gambits (which particular individuals find much funnier than it actually is). I'm not sure why - I don't know if it's because I grew up in a family that generally 'telegraphed' when a joke was being played, or if it's that I don't always catch subtle voice/body language cues, or if it's just generally the track my mind runs in (that I expect people to be serious). I will also observe that this is one of the reasons - the fact that I don't always "get" that people are joking when they are - that I sometimes wonder if I'm a bit further along the Asperger's syndrome spectrum than most people are.

6. Certain colors, it is as if I can taste them. And some sounds, it is as if they have shapes. (I think I talked about how pink noise sounds "furry" to me but white noise sounds "prickly.") It's not really fully developed synesthesia or anything but I can kind of see what the artists who were truly synesthetic were talking about when they said that numbers were a certain "color" or that sounds "tasted" like something.

3 comments:

Christa said...

My sister has never had a problem telling if someone was joking with another person, but if someone is joking with her, she never catches on. One time when she was a kid, she asked my grandmother where the popcicles were. My grandmother told her they were in the cupboard above the stove. My sister came back a few minutes later confused that they weren't there. I like this meme in the fact that you find out the similarity of so many peoples quirks. Thanks for playing along.

TChem said...

Huh--1, 4, and (sometimes) 5, if it's someone I know professionally. #2 when I was a kid.

I can fall asleep whenever, though, so we're not the same person. Phew. :)

dragon knitter said...

i used to do the wall thing all the time as a kid. i'm fascinated with textures, and how they feel on my fingertips.

it's been suggested that sean has asberger's, although we've never had a diagnosis. he is a very seriously minded little boy (hah, he's almost as tall as me, i have to start remembering he's going to be 13 in august!), although he has a very odd sense of humor. sometimes when i read what you say, it makes me think of sean. he's more a geek-type, though, as he's thinking seriously about being a psychologist, or an engineer. the kid's mind works in mysterious ways.

i can sleep in a semi-dark room, although i hate it when the neighboring house is empty, as the landlord leaves the porch light on 24/7, which shines through the south bedroom window. i cannot, however, sleep on my back. not to start. i may wake up that way (although that happens much more rarely since i met mark, lol (he's 6'8" and doesn't fit a normal bed, so curls up, which leaves no room to lay flat)), but i absolutely cannot go to sleep that way.