Friday, October 06, 2006

Not pi-hat related...

....but still something I think is cool.

My yard and garden regularly surprise me with nifty things. I like to think this is because I garden organically, and so I'm not killing off all of the cool neat native stuff. (Or, more simply: it's karma).

Well, I saw this this afternoon and HAD to photograph it:

geaster

It's a geaster! Also known as "earth star." It's kin to puffballs (but not edible like young puffballs sometimes are).

I suspect it is Astraeus hygrometricus, the first earth-star pictured on that page. (No, I am not going to save it and put glitter on it and hang it on my Christmas tree.)

The only other place I've seen these in nature was on sand areas (in a jack-pine forest) in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, so it's kind of cool to run into one down here.

I did have some huge ugly brown puffballs in my yard (I don't remember the species; it's been too long since Mycology) but this is a lot more attractive than they are (the puffballs kind of look like dog poo).

No comments: