As in, "it goes to 11"
I have no idea if I'll have classroom computers tomorrow or if I even am "permitted" to turn on my uninfected office computer. I was told "we're going to install new security software this weekend on it" and I was told NOT to turn it on until it was. But I haven't received an e-mail and while I know they're busy, I feel like that might be a tiny courtesy extended to us. I usually go in at 7 to prep for class but.....no one will be in but me, I teach one of the very few 8 am classes on campus so if I don't get an e-mail (on my phone) or have a sticker on my office computer.....well, I guess I can't use it.
It's very frustrating. I'm ALREADY an anxious person, I feel more unready for the start of this semester than I have since.....well. maybe my first semester here, back in 1999. (I was apprehensive in 2020 but that was for different reasons).
Anyway, I don't anticipate being able to do my early-morning first-day post of Brahms' Academic Overture (a tradition I have), so I'm doing it tonight:
This year's version is The Cleveland Orchestra from Severance Hall, which was the closest world-class orchestra to where I grew up (I got to go see them there once or twice, and more often when I was very small, my parents took me to Blossom in the summers - that was closer because it was (as I remember) nearer to Cuyahoga Falls, which was a lot easier to get to from where we lived than Cleveland)
Edited to add: OKAY FINE YOU TUBE KEEP YOUR SECRETS I'LL FIND ANOTHER VIDEO OF IT YOU WON"T REQUIRE PEOPLE TO SURF TO YOUR SITE FOR. GEEZ.
But honestly, given everything - the broken AC in much of the building, the computers being trashed - I feel like I should see if there is a "kazoo version" of it, like that version of the Jurassic Park theme:
I hope it's not as bad as I fear but I've already warned people I might not make it through the week without crying. It seems like kind of a LOT for some of the rooms to have temperatures in the mid to upper 80s F AND ALSO no computers that are usable.
Anyway, everything feels broken (I also can't access Bluesky on my laptop, I keep getting "rate limited exceeded" and I don't know if I screwed something up, like changing my password and then the computer reverted to the old when I cleared the cache after I couldn't get in earlier, or if it's just still messed up on their end) and broken things, broken EVERYTHING (which is what it feels like right now) upsets me.
No comments:
Post a Comment