Wednesday, May 08, 2024

I’m still waiting

 Bus bridge messed everything up. We were told the train was due at 5:15, it never came. The website kept showing 5:15.


In the middle of all this, a troubled (dementia? Maybe?) woman who had got off the westbound train this morning and thought there’d be another one soon (and who got off because she said she wasn’t getting on a bus because - warning for a slur, here, but I am quoting her - she didn’t want to sit next to a “queer.”)

Eventually the station attendant got her sorted (it may not have been dementia but merely attention seeking) and put her in a taxi…. So she can pick up the train tomorrow.



But there was still no information: was the train even still coming? Had the bus bridge not left Temple, which would mean it would be like 4 am before I got on? Do I get a motel room? Try to change my ticket? What? And how do I get food: I get cranky and headachey when I skip meals.


So Martha, the station attendant kept calling around. Because: if I knew the train wasn’t due for three hours I could go get food; if it was due in 20 minutes, no way.


FINALLY the station attendant got ahold of someone in Temple who knew: it was due to leave Fort Worth in 10-15 minutes, then two hours here.


As it turned out, the husband (who was not traveling; he works for EMS the next county over and is on call if there’s bad weather) offered to run and pick up food for us. I took him up on it



Not shown: the real-sugar glass bottle of Coke (some restaurants here get in the Mexicoke because people prefer it)


I don’t GENERALLY drink Coke but I was headachey and sometimes that helps. 

And the guy wouldn’t even take money for it! He bought me my meal! 


So things look better, given I am no longer headachey. And the train will be here in … womp womp…. An hour and a half 

No comments: