Thursday, March 14, 2024

An interrupted evening

Though first off: yesterday I was on my feet and walking around (albeit with the cane) for about a half hour outside while the students did the insect-collecting lab. I felt okay afterward and okay today. And then I took my botany class out for about an hour and we did a plant-hunt (there are surprising number of the little herbaceous things I covered in class in the building's lawn or as weeds in its garden). And I felt mostly OK when I got home (A little tired, yes, but this is the most I've walked at one go in two months). 

If I still feel fine tomorrow morning that may tell me that most of my trouble now is stiffness and muscle weakness, and I need to do more gentle walking to work it out. 

But at least I got the outdoor lab in; at first I thought I might not be able to because we had storms predicted, but so far we haven't got any rain.

I was looking forward to relaxing and watching the two shows I usually watch ("Ghosts," and "So Help me Todd") but there are enormous storms here so the local CBS affiliate is tracking the storms and yes, I totally understand that, we need to stay safe and the local CBS affiliate weather guys are the best ones around here. But it's still a disappointment; I would rather there were no severe storms and my tv programs instead. 

(Update: the storms have moved out/fallen apart, so I can see most of So Help Me Todd)

But anyway. I'm trying to get the sheets changed (I had to sit down and rest a bit in between stripping the bed/recasing the pillows and doing the rest of it - like I said, I think that walking tired me out) and then, I don't know. I have an easy day tomorrow (I just give an exam) and then it's my spring break. I plan to do some research reading before the exam since I don't have to review or update notes for a class, and then maybe in the afternoon I'll catch up on grading. 

Still no ideas on a "fun" thing to do. I will want to do some research planning and I will have a big set of scholarship applications to read and evaluate but I do think I need at least one fun thing. 

I might take a day and go out to my field site and walk slowly around a little bit - again, walking on grass is far easier than walking on concrete - and I think I DO need to start walking to build myself back up. After break I might consider bringing my exercise shoes and clothes and changing before I leave for the day and going over to the "wellness center," they have one of those tracks with a rubberized surface and it's indoors. It's free for faculty and students and staff. So maybe I try to do that for a while to build back up and then eventually look into PT to try to regain more flexibility. 

I'm still not sold on the meniscus surgery; the pain I have now feels more muscular or like I haven't used the muscle/joints enough. I'll wait more and see.

No comments: